We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it easy to get cabs in Shanghai to charge by meter?

Singapore
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Topic
Is it easy to get cabs in Shanghai to charge by meter?

Hello

Just wondering if it is the norm to have cabs in Shanghai to charge by meter?

I just heard from a colleague who was there for a conference that he was "conned" into boarding a cab at the Maglev station at a fixed price of 180RMB to his hotel... And thing is .. his hotel is not that far from the Maglev station.

On his return trip.. He boarded a taxi from hotel to the Maglev station... It was only 40RMB by meter... was quite shocked....

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it easy to get cabs in Shanghai to charge by meter?

You really cannot miss the official taxi queue at Longyand Road, end station for the Maglev and Lines 2 and 7, and in another year, Line 16 of the Shanghai Metro.

You leave Maglev platform, go down one level. Exit through turnstyle and turn left to go outside. At this point "helpful" people will offer to assist you with your luggage and take you to a taxi. Avoid like the plague. These helpful people are helping themselves to your wallet.

Go outside and walk forward to escalator on left. Go down one level and right at the bottom, right there, is the official taxi queue marked by metal railings to guide you in the queue. At the end should be an official dispatcher, handing out the official taxi fare estimate chart. Even if the dispatcher is off duty, go through the queue and take the next taxi, showing your "taxi card" in Chinese.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is it easy to get cabs in Shanghai to charge by meter?

Its not difficult to get registered legal taxis in Shanghai,all are mandatory to use meter.Gettine taxis are easy except when it rains or at peak hours like 6pm to 8 pm.At that time most drivers refuse to stop for me as im local and probably will stop for you as you are foreigner.I really cant be sure of the reasons but i can guess.

A registered taxis have a taxi logo on top and meter with a occupied or vacant sign on dash board.

Most taxis are turquoise,blue,green,white,yellow.Reds are of smaller companies or individually owned and has the worst reputation of been dishonest.

Always get the receipt and in most instances when you reach your destinations the taxi will remind you of your belongings.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is it easy to get cabs in Shanghai to charge by meter?

I had problems with cabs in Beijing but not at all in Shanghai. Interesting how different drivers were in the two cities. In Shanghai, taxis were easy to get everywhere and drivers seemed friendlier, more professional and knew how to hustle (in a good way).

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Sydney
Level Contributor
75 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is it easy to get cabs in Shanghai to charge by meter?

Yes it is no problem to get a taxi to charge. The scams mostly operate at the Airport and the Station. Just double check when you get into a cab & if for some reason the meter isn't working, stop the cab and get out.

There is a new App however, whose name escapes me, that works on fixed price so at peak times, locals are putting in prices they are prepared to pay for a cab to take them somewhere so not sure how that is going to play out in the long run. Its not uncommon to see cabs with several phones 'going off' as people are bidding on jobs.

Subway is also a really efficient option in Shanghai to move around so worth considering especially at peak times

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai Subway
Shanghai Subway
2,849 Reviews
Shanghai, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
NNJ
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is it easy to get cabs in Shanghai to charge by meter?

Someone told me that WeChat is exerimenting some taxi function in Shanghai.

BTW maybe I have been just lucky; I haven't rided a no-meter taxi in Shanghai, yet.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
16. Re: Is it easy to get cabs in Shanghai to charge by meter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 06:19