We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Shanghai, Jing'an district

Bracknell, Berkshire
Level Contributor
276 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Shanghai, Jing'an district

I am going to Shanghai in 10 days for a week, and will be staying at the Howard Johnson Business Club Hotel, I would like to go to a fake market, and want to get some shirts made for my husband can you help?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Shanghai, Jing'an district

U can take metro to People Square ( line 1) or West Nanjing rd ( line 2). Fake market address: 580 Nanjing West rd

Do bargain!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
461 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Shanghai, Jing'an district

i think you can go to the market which is under Shanghai science and Technology museum since you can make shirts for your husband there and also do a lot of shopping. Most importantly people there are nicer than the downtown market.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Shanghai, Jing'an district

Is your husband coming with you? Otherwise forget the idea of just giving them the measurements and expect it to fit perfectly - does not work here. The way would be: Go there, let them take his measurements, do the first fitting, do the second fitting and once they have this right you can take it from there.

First trip? Please read about scams in Shanghai: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294211-i642-k4835…

Bottom line: Do NOT follow anyone approaching you in English on the street. No matter how sweet their story is and no matter how deeply you are convinced that it is "so rude" towards Asian culture. Just ignore them and move on.

Shanghai, China
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Shanghai, Jing'an district

Thanks for the info. This is my first visit too and in my first time to Janjing st I was bombarded with many pimps luring for "massage" services. I was looking for cheap/copy electronics, iPad and iPhone, but couldn't find and the one I found was of offering prices comparable to price of original. Thus far, I find ordering from eBay while in USA is a lot cheaper than buying from Shanghai.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Shanghai, Jing'an district

Skip the fake markets completely for your husband's shirts. Take a couple of fine fitting shirts in the right styles for a seamstress to copy. Then head over to the South Bund Fabric Market. Scan reviews of vendors in this forum by using the search box above. I would look to a shirt merchant inside on an upper floor. Higher rent locations on the street level usually mean higher prices to the consumer.

The only reports I have read about using fake market tailors have been so-so to lousy.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Shanghai, Jing'an district

Many people think if it is made in China, then it must be cheaper. Then you tell them that shipping costs for an iPhone made in China to the US are ard 0,5 USD. Then they go "ohhh...".

macrumors.com/2013/…

Edited: 25 November 2013, 18:34
7. Re: First visit to Shanghai, Jing'an district

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 06:19