We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

72hr Visa for Shanghai - Can anyone help?? Cheers

London
6 posts
Save Topic
72hr Visa for Shanghai - Can anyone help?? Cheers

Hi guys,

Ive just been reading about this new 72hr visa policy, in which if you are transitting out of Shanghai airport, and spending less than 72hrs in the city, you will no longer require a traditional tourist visa like in the past.

My question is:

Im flying into Shanghai PVG airport (from Tokyo) for a 10hr stopover, before flying onto Phuket - I then fly back into Shanghai PVG airport from Phuket for a 20hr layover 7days later, before flying back to Japan. I'm a UK citizen based in Tokyo.

I'll only be in Shanghai for 30hrs total, but its spread over 2days a week apart - does this mean I count for this '72hr visa' - or will I have to apply for a Tourist Visa as has been the case in the past?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Matt

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,635 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 72hr Visa for Shanghai - Can anyone help?? Cheers

Each time you exit China to a third country you time clock starts over again. Thus you are fine both going and coming, so long as your only stop in China is Shanghai, and you are going from country #1 (Japan) to country #3 (Thailand). Then on return it's the same just in reverse.

Besides since each stop in under 24 hrs, you don't even need to think about the 72 hr rule.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 72hr Visa for Shanghai - Can anyone help?? Cheers

Correct. Firstly, it's not a 72 hour visa - it's a visa-free transit. Secondly, anyone can transit China within 24 hours without a visa. See Top Questions.

3. Re: 72hr Visa for Shanghai - Can anyone help?? Cheers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17