We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help! any advice for a 10 day trip?

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
help! any advice for a 10 day trip?

In october I am planning to visit my friend who works in shanghai for 10 days... a few of the days I gues she will have plans but I really want to se the great wall of china and she wants to go to disney land in hong kong was wondering if anyone had any advice on this. Thanks x

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,471 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help! any advice for a 10 day trip?

Hopefully you are not visiting during the week of October 1st. This is the worst time to be in China and it will be impossible to see anything

If you wish to see the Great Wall then you need to go to Beijing. This is 5 hours from Shanghai by fast train. disney is in HK which is a 3-hour flight.

To see Shanghai takes a couple of days. Beijing requires 4-5 days. So if you also go to HK then your 10 days are full.

Understand that if you go to HK and return to Shanghai, then you need a double-entry or multiple-entry visa.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: help! any advice for a 10 day trip?

No it would be the end of october. Well I'll be based in shanghai so will spend most my time there I thought maybe a flight to beijing would be quicker was just going to stay there one night and go to hong kong for the day do you think yhis is possible?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,471 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help! any advice for a 10 day trip?

The flight to Beijing is 2 hours. But that is the time in the air. In total it will be four hours at least. To go to the Great Wall you need to hire a driver as it is out of town. Too bad that you do not have time for the Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven among other places in Beijing.

But one cannot go to HK for the day. As I said, it is a 3-hour flight (2 times) plus you have to clear immigration 4 times. And some of the flights will be late. That would only give you time for a coffee at the HK airport then you return. Doable, yes but it makes no sense.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: help! any advice for a 10 day trip?

Right I will skip hong kong then thanks for your help :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help! any advice for a 10 day trip?

personally i'd cut my time in shanghai. hk in my opinion is far more interesting these days and i would go there. besides that the weather in hk will be far nicer. and anyway your friend lives in sh so she would probably want to get out of there for a few days. also in hk is ocean park. you could do it as well abd be truly theme parked!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
295 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help! any advice for a 10 day trip?

You can go to HK either before China or after China but not a good idea to visit in between as explained above.

It's faster to go to Beijing from Shanghai by train & more convenient. The airport is a long way away whereas the train station is more accessible.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: help! any advice for a 10 day trip?

ah brilliant thank you both for your advice... my friend will be working some days when i go out to visit her so she wont be able to get the time off to go to Hong Kong i reckon at a push she could go to stay in Beijing for a couple of days to see the great wall and the forbidden city. such a shame about Hong Kong i will have to go and visit another time. i'm limited to ten days so i reckon i will only get to go to shanghai and Beijing unless i travel to Hong Kong on my own. thank you again for advice :)

8. Re: help! any advice for a 10 day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 06:18