We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

Help! I need to know if I need a visa when I am landing in Beijing from Vancouver on Air China, changing planes to Shanghai SHA and then staying overnight for a connecting flight out of Shanghai PVG to SGN the next day. I thought the 72 transit permit would apply but now air china is telling me I need a visa and my flight leaves in 2 days. Help!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,376 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

Welcome to the Shanghai forum at Tripadvisor!

Maybe because you have a national flight from PEK to SHA.

You will have to pass immigration at PEK, would have to apply for the 72hrs visa free transit, but you would not qualify.

…bcia.com.cn/server/…m04

"Are the foreign visitors who completed 72-hour visa-free transit procedures and entered into China permitted to leave Beijing to other Chinese cities?

72-hour visa-free transit foreign visitors are not permitted to leave Beijing to other Chinese cities during their 72-hour visa-free stay. Visitors who have to leave Beijing to other Chinese cities due to force majeure must apply for visas at Beijing Public Security Bureau."

For information, you may call Beijing Airport Immigration Inspection at +86-10-56095400, Shanghai Airport Immigration Inspection at +86-21-51105100

Edited: 22 February 2014, 09:14
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

It depends how long your total transit time is as explained in Top Questions.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

You have up to 24 hrs in total in China without needing a visa.

vancouver
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

Ok, thanks, my total transit time is 25 hours. Can I apply for a visa at PEK while waiting for my connecting flight to SHA? Will Air China let me on the flight from YVR to PEK without a visa?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

No to both of your questions. You need a valid visa before they'll allow you to board the plane.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,706 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

You have to apply for a regular tourist visa at the China consulate in Vancouver.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

Are you sure about the timings? Because the Air China flight YVR-PEK has a scheduled arrival of 16:25. And I assume you're taking the Vietnam Airlines PVG-SGN the next day leaving at 15:25. That's 23 hours which would put you within the acceptable limits to transit without a visa? Perhaps listing your exact flights/times would be useful.

vancouver
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

Thanks for your comments kvchina, yes the air china flight lands at 1625 then I take the 1830 to SHA and then SGN from PVG with china eastern at 2200 the next day. I could cancel that flight and take the vietnam airlines PVG-SGN flight at 1525 if that means I can travel without a visa on the under 24hr travel provision and can get on my air china YVR- PEK flight. Your thoughts?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

I dont think you have time to apply for a visa so you have to change your onward flight(s).

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help! do you need a visa when transiting through PEK to SHA

Yes, if you can change to the Vietnam Airlines flight at 15:25, you'll be OK to travel without a visa. Make sure you print out and take with you a confirmation of this flight. At Air China check-in in Vancouver, agent will want to see all these flights so they can approve you for boarding. Tell them you will be using Transit Without Visa privileges.