We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smart phone SIM card

brisbane
Level Contributor
33 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Smart phone SIM card

We are travelling to both Hong Kong and mainland China. What are the best and cheapest options for me to phone back home to Australia. I have a iPhone 5.

Can I get a Sim in Hong Kong that will cover me for both places.

Thanks

New York City, New...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smart phone SIM card

Yes, you can get a SIM in the HK airport that will do both. I bought mine from a cellphone accessories store near the entrance to the North Departure gates. I'm not sure what the rates are for International calls, you would have to check with them. It's very handy for local calls, as it gives you two local numbers, one for HK and one for China. But if what you want to do is call home, I'd suggest Skype. It works reasonably well on the China internet.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,861 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smart phone SIM card

Yes they have this kind of SIM in HK, but as you might expect, it is not the cheapest solution. Getting two SIMs would be cheaper.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smart phone SIM card

Or use skype type apps

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smart phone SIM card

The best way, buy two SIMs in Hong Kong and mainland of China, because the different charge rates.

5. Re: Smart phone SIM card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 05:18