We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
438 posts
237 reviews
Save Topic
A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

I am looking for a five star hotel on the bund with a great water view, would appreciate any suggestions,

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8,602 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

I like the open air bar at the Indigo Hotel …smh.com.au/2011/07/29/2524364/ipad-art-wide…

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

There are at least three very nice hotels on the Bund: the Peninsula, Fairmont Peace, and Waldorf Astoria. All of them have river view rooms with river and Pudong view.

The Hyatt on the Bund, one block north of the Bund, has one room on each of higher floors that has view of river, Pudong and Puxi (the Bund). This is the best view room in Shanghai.

Many top hotels in Pudong also offer nice view of the river, the Bund, but only part of Pudong.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
438 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

Thanks so much, very helpful, I was strongly now considering the Mandarin Oriental, do you think it is too far out of the way, appreciate your thoughts

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

It's not too far off; but I don't think you can see the Bund.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
438 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

Thank you, but apparently their are river views, probably far though

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

It's on the river side. However, the river itself is nothing, except various styles/shapes lighted river cruise boats. The interesting "river view" is actually views on either sides of the river: Pudong and Puxi (the Bund). Pudong shows 21st century's Shanghai and Puxi shows 1920's.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 18:31
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

We stayed at a Peace hotel suite once, that suite took up the entire 7th floor river side, I think it was the Presidential suite, but not much Bund view as it is on the same side of Bund. River is interesting to look at as it is a busy working waterway, not that beautiful but interesting, we could see all the tourists below, there is a tunnel entrance right in front of Peace to cross the river, but we didn't have time to check it out.

We have also stayed at Shangri-la which has great Bund view, but not a good location, because it is very troublesome to get to city center from Pudong, east side of the river, long ride to cross the river.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 19:20
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

BTW, Peace is not a good choice for river view. It is a historic old building, it has tall narrow windows, you need to stand next to the window bend towards the window to see view, vs. modern hotels with large windows and thin outer wall. Having the entire floor with many windows did not help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
438 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

anks for your very informative reply, much appreciated, I am beginning to think we cannot go wrong with the Mandarin Oriental, although I worry a little about the location, do you have any thoughts

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A five star hotels with a fabulous nighttime River View

It is on Pudong(East side), that means you are cut off from the main Shanghai city, the old and busy parts of the city. I personally avoid any hotels with Pudong in the address, can be very far away from activities, no matter how nice the hotels maybe inside, the remote location defeats the whole point of being in Shanghai. Sure Pudong has fancy high rises locals are proud of, but we don't fly around the world to Shanghai to see tall new buildings, it is the old Shanghai and characters that attract us.

My rule No.1 for Shanghai hotel selection, avoid Pudong.

Judging by the TA travelers' photos, the view is not that impressive, I do not see Bund in those pictures. By staying on West bank, the real city of Shanghai is outside your hotel door. Unless you plan to sit by the window in your room whole day, IMHO, stay away from Pudong side. Use TA online map, click on hotel icons on west side and read those reviews and see the travelers' pictures, far more useful than opinions from very few on forum, most never stayed in these hotels before.

Maybe even change your priority, move river view down your list.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 21:48