We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

Falcade, Italy
Level Contributor
26 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

My trip:

Munich to Shanghai with Lufthansa, estimated arrival time 15.10 of 26 June. Then Shanghai to Seoul with departure at 15.00 of 29 June.

Total 71 hours and 50 minutes.

I should be eligible for the 72 hours free visa but how is it calculated at Pudong Airport? China Southern Airlines replied me it is calculated starting from the midnight of the day next your arrival but I cannot find a confirmation of this around the web.

Someone of you have direct experience of this? I think it should be more logic the start of the 72 hours the day next to your arrival (otherwise what should they write on your passport, the hour of your entry to calculate the next 72 hours? Hmmmm...) but I travel with a little baby and I would be sure to avoid hassles!

Thanks a lot.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,768 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

I think it's calculated according to the printed arrival and departure times on your tickets. But I am not totally certain. Logic has nothing to do with it.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

You will get a stamp in your passport that reads:

Temporary Entry Permit

Permitted to stay in Shanghai

Until 2014.06.29

With nothing mentioned about your time of arrival or departure in your passport.

Falcade, Italy
Level Contributor
26 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

29 of June included or excluded?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

Included.

I don't understand why you say "estimated time of arrival". You should have scheduled departure and arrival times and it is these times which will, in part, determine whether you meet the criteria to qualify for 72hr TWOV and NOT what the Entry Permit says once you arrive.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

It's scheduled arrival to scheduled departure. You should be OK, just barely but 71 hours 50 minutes does not exceed 72 hours. You should be able to board in Munich without incident, just make sure you tell the check-in agent you will use Transit Without Visa privilege. Without Visa. As in, no visa. Again, do not mention "72 hour free visa" since technically there is no such thing and anecdotally that's caused some unpleasantness at check-in. . I assume your passport is on the list of the eligible countries.

China Southern's advice to you about a midnight start after your arrival applies only to Guangzhou airport (CAN), not to Shanghai nor any other Chinese airport--all of which follow my paragraph above.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

see FAQ: www.mps.gov.cn/n16/n84147/n84196/3912430.html

As long as you stay below 72h, you should be fine.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

According to the homepage of the Chinese Embassy in New Zealand it is:

"4. The 72 hours will be counted from the time when the transit permit is granted, not from the time when the flight land at the airport."

Could someone please post the source that it is the time of arrival and departure, as it would be interesting to see where the different statments originate.

Falcade, Italy
Level Contributor
26 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

It is still unclear, no official document says how it is calculated in Shanghai, neither the mps gov official page.

Too risky, better apply for a Visa.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

The time restriction is given on the TIMATIC database used by airlines to determine whether or not they can carry the passenger. Only transits through Guangzhou are exceptionally noted for the transit time starting from the beginning of the following calendar day even though the stamp you get in your passport effectively allows the same thing in all designated transit ports (as far as I know).

The issue is intrinsically tied to the ability to board the inbound flight based on the outbound flight falling within the permissible time constraints (as well as other qualifying criteria for the passenger and the routing). The part about the time being calculated from when the permit is granted is confusing and unhelpful.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 72 hours free visa: how is it calculated?

Incidentally, the information on the Chinese Embassy website in New Zealand is out of date. This is not unusual. Specifically, the page neglects to mention all of the airports where this privilege can be applied for. Also, it does not mention all of the countries whose passport-holders may be eligible and therefore essentially renders the "important" points 1 & 3 inaccurate.