We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

I am traveling from Dallas, TX to Dalian, China and connect thru Shanghai. I have the option to book a good connection (3 hours) or a longer layover of 7.25 hours and try to see some of Shanghai.

Is it worth trying to extend my layover and go into the city for a couple of hours on the train? I arrive on an American Airline flight and have to transfer to a Chinese based carrier (Shanghai airlines) for the domestic flight, so assume that I'd have to go thru immigration and collect my bags, clear customs, and recheck them with the other airline. Should I play it safe and just book the best connection to Dalian or try to see some of Shanghai?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,380 posts
821 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

I am not sure that the "best" connection means playing it safe. What if your flight is late?

Are you departing from the same airport as the one you are arriving at? In my view, 7 hours is enough to get on the Maglev then subway to go to town.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

If you will not visit China again, I would suggest to take a quick glance of Shanghai (then, you will probably want to visit China again)

Edited: 02 July 2014, 21:15
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,751 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

Which 7 hrs of the day?

qwy
shanghai
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

FM9191 10:55/FM9377 17:30 departure from PVG T1 . Is this right?

7 hours is enough,take the Maglev then chang the subway line 2 to get to the people's square. Have a lunch,then walk to The Shanghai Museum.

The Shanghai Museum is a museum of ancient Chinese art.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

Thanks to everyone for their advice. After all my agonizing about how to get to see Shanghai with just an airport layover, I found out that I can actually stop there overnight on my way back through Shanghai to the US. So, now I'm going to fly into Shanghai one afternoon and stay a full day. Will definitely check the forums to find out what to see with a whole day!

6. Re: 7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 14:55
Atlantic City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

where is the cruise terminal in relation to the bund. also where is the airport in relation to the bund

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

Really - the only thing worth seeing is the paulaner bar in xintiandi. This can be done after other sightseeing at night. Expensive but csn be good fun for a person travelling singly

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

One station is ~10miles west, other two <10 miles, south and north.

One terminal is ~20+miles n. east, another a few blocks away.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 01:34
NNJ
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 hour layover in Shanghai - worth trying to see anything?

Really? SEE one BAR in XTD? What is to be seen in that bar?

I would rather see the shikumen museum and the historical place where Mao had a meeting in 1920's.

Or have a Shanghainese meal at Ye Shanghai or Shanghai Tang (the food is ok, the setting is unique).