We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding Taxi Scams in Pudong Int. Airport

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Avoiding Taxi Scams in Pudong Int. Airport

Hey there,

I'm 24 and I'll be backpacking in Shanghai for the first time ever throughout the final week of this month. Having chosen Blue Mountain Bund Youth Hostel as my accommodation, the receptionist has sent me this via email:

"If you take a taxi, DO call the taxi from taxi stand. Don't follow those taxi drivers who approach you to avoid being cheated, and don’t forget to get the taxi receipt when you get off the taxi."

I'll be arriving at 12.30am just past midnight and I have no choice but to use the taxi to get to my hostel. Can anybody tell me the reliable and trusted taxi company name as well as their uniform/taxi car color?(a link will be great!)

That will be really useful. Otherwise, it'll be difficult for me to differentiate between the good ones and the bad ones.

I heard that many taxi drivers overcharge their customers and use fake RMB notes.

From those with experience, please advice. Thanks.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding Taxi Scams in Pudong Int. Airport

Good that the hostel warns you. At the official taxi stand you don´t have to choose a special color. You take the first one available. Then check-list: can I see the taxi license of the driver? Can I see the display of the meter or is paper (from the receipt printer) dangling in front of it? When the driver turns on the meter (usually after some 100-200m drive) is it at 18.00 CNY (which is the night tariff btw. 2300-0500h)? If all that is checked you can relax. Ride should cost you ard 200 CNY. Have the address and phone number of the hostel printed in Chinese ready. "fa piao" is the word for "receipt".

No worries about fake notes. Yes it does happen but not like it is a regular thing and everybody does it.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding Taxi Scams in Pudong Int. Airport

Hey laowei, thanks for the tips. May I know the how the taxi stand looks like(color, shape)? Also, if after 100-200m the meter reads 18.00 CNY, that means after 50km, it'll be 4500 CNY!! It's too much, it's better for me to stay in the airport and take the metro or bus later in the morning.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding Taxi Scams in Pudong Int. Airport

Just follow the signs to the taxi stand. Once outside the terminal you can not miss it! And no... the ride will not cost 4500 CNY. It will be ard 200 CNY. What I mean is that some drivers start driving without immediately putting on the meter, they will do it after some 100-200m. Many of my guests told me that this irritated them very much ("he is not using the meter!!") so I tell you.

NNJ
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding Taxi Scams in Pudong Int. Airport

There will be a bus taking you to downtown. You can then take taxi from there and it will cost you less than 50rmb, bus fare included. Or you may even be able to walk to the hotel. Ask the hotel for details.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 16:19
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding Taxi Scams in Pudong Int. Airport

He is arriving at 1230am, so out of the airport at 0100am. Are you sure there is still a bus at that time?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,081 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding Taxi Scams in Pudong Int. Airport

There'll be people (touts) coming up to you to offer you taxi rides into town. Just ignore them or say no. Follow the sign to the taxi queue (outside the airport one floor down).

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding Taxi Scams in Pudong Int. Airport

The last bus departs 45 mins after the final flight on the day

…shairport.com/2012-11/…content_15974151.htm

All the major airports have that.

NNJ
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding Taxi Scams in Pudong Int. Airport

@Laowai88

Yes, I even took it once after midnight.

@Modoki, I don't think most major airport have that service. I couldn't find it even at SHA, an airport run by the same company.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 20:38
9. Re: Avoiding Taxi Scams in Pudong Int. Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:17