We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Les Suites Orient

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Les Suites Orient

Does anyone know if this hotel is closing after September 2014? their booking form shows no availability after that and I have emailed them but no response.

Wondering if they are going out of business or maybe renovating?

I had thought it looked to be a very nice boutique hotel and was considering it for an early April stay.

Thanks.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Les Suites Orient

Strange. September is the beginning of the Autumn peak season. However there are many other hotels around the Bund area.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Les Suites Orient

Thankyou, Kathy.

Yesterday, I received a reply from Les Suites but it didn't give any explanation. Instead simply listed the rates for the various rooms. I'm taking that to mean there are rooms available but I'm not going to book under those circumstances. The rates they quoted were all rack rates - no specials (such as early booking etc) and there were no details regarding cancellation policy etc.

I was looking at that particular hotel because I thought the location seemed very nice, slightly away from the very busy area yet still close enough to thee Bund and with some nice views. Also not a huge hotel!! Am I correct in my thinking?

Could I ask if you have a recommendation for an alternative?

Thanks

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Les Suites Orient

Try this one:

http://hotels.ctrip.com/hotel/55631.html

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Les Suites Orient

There is no need to book far in advance Shanghai hotels, and several reasons to avoid doing it.

1. Although there are a few western-style advance purchase sales, most hotel rooms decline in price as time approaches the arrival date.

2. Hotels can change rapidly, either under new management, a new "flag" (chain), or nearby conditions such as construction. (Shanghai is in a perpetual state of new construction. What was a vacant lot yesterday today could be mind-numbing pounding of structural pilings into the bedrock today.)

3. When you avoid pre-payment, you have the option "to walk" if the room or location is unsatisfactory. The hotel knows this and will try to improve the situation. If you pre-paid, good luck to you.

There is a surplus of quality hotel rooms in Shanghai. I usually firm up my hotel room, and corresponding rate, from one to three weeks before arrival. And then, without prepayment, you can still make changes up to 24 hours usually before arrival. So that five-star TripAdvisor Top Ten hotel that goes on last-minute sale can be yours at a better price.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Les Suites Orient

I really appreciate that information and have saved it for the future.

My one concern is that I thought we needed information as to where we are staying for the China Visa application. That still leaves me until about February to book something but it's more than the 3 weeks ahead you are suggesting.

In any case I am going to wait before booking.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Les Suites Orient

Just make a random booking and print out the confirmation sheet for visa application, then cancel it.

7. Re: Les Suites Orient

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:17