We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 months in Shanghai - Where to see around?

istanbul
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
2 months in Shanghai - Where to see around?

This weekend me and my wife will come to Shanghai and stay there for 10 weeks to take Mandarin courses. Our courses will be weekdays, so all the weekends we will have plenty of free time. Since I have seen Shanghai before, this time we want to spend our free time to see somewhere around Shanghai. We like Chinese culture, nature, lakes, water cities, mountains.. I need your suggestions... Tours can be for 2 days, 3 days, or 4 days.. We can arrange our course time accordingly..

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,550 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 months in Shanghai - Where to see around?

The usual suspects are Hangzhou, Suzhou, Huangshan, or Nanjing. With a weekend you can go all the way to Beijing with the fast train.

istanbul
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 months in Shanghai - Where to see around?

At the end of our trip, we will go to Beijing for a week, so actually Beijing is our of consideration for weekends. I just want to see as much as possible during this time period. I can use fast trains of course.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 months in Shanghai - Where to see around?

Keep in mind that here in China there is a simple rule: The easier it is to get to a "nice" place the more packed it is on weekends and tens of thousands others also go there.On the other hand: The harder it is to get there the less people you will find. A nice and secluded place which is easy to access with only few people simply does not exist in/near Shanghai. Oh and for a real Shanghai resident an artifical lake with a paved walk around it and some trees is already "very beautiful". So you better ask other expats where to go than locals. Just a totally different perspective, theirs and ours...

Have a look here for some suggestions, however all are from the "easy to access" category: …cnn.com/shanghai/play/essential-shanghai-da…

istanbul
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 months in Shanghai - Where to see around?

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
566 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 months in Shanghai - Where to see around?

Once you exhaust the typical destinations around the Yangtze River Delta, Shanghai is actually a short flight to Korea and southern Japan. With 3 days, you can do quick hops to Jeju, Seoul, and Kyushu (max 1.5 hour flight).

Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 months in Shanghai - Where to see around?

Laowai - nice secluded place does not exist... Serious?? Go to changxing. Hehngshan and chongming dao in shanghai district and then think about what you wrote. And if you repeat it i will personally have to have a one on one discussion with you...

So close and yet so far away

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
461 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 months in Shanghai - Where to see around?

you may go to visit a water town such as Zhouzhuang, Tongli , Wuzhen etc which are nice and breathtaking places.

istanbul
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 months in Shanghai - Where to see around?

Thanks, I definetely will visit water towns. Lots of people talk about it on Shanghai forums..

-hkg2009hkg -> I can't go out of China since my visa is single enterance. I have to stay there all the time till I go back to home.

9. Re: 2 months in Shanghai - Where to see around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 05:15