We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for one night in Alajuela

Which Alajuela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for one night in Alajuela

Hi all - we will be flying into San Jose at 9:30pm on December 18th and are looking into a hotel to stay in Alajuela before jumping the bus to Arenal the next day. Does not need to be fancy, but do not want to stay in a dump either :) Some hotels that have been suggested are:

Hotel Buena Vista (which I have read alot about in this forum!)

Hotel 1915

Casa Paz B&B

Hotel Pacande

Hotel Santa Maria

La Guaria Inn

Hotel Los Volcanes

Can you guys help me narrow this list down? Actually, we will stay in Alajuela for one night when we arrive on Dec 18th, and one night right before we leave on Dec 24th. Saving money is always good, but maybe we can splurge a bit. So perhaps one night in Hotel Buena Vista, and one night somewhere a bit less expensive?

Cheers,

Heather

Chicago
Level Contributor
204 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for one night in Alajuela

Hi, Heather-

We're headed to Costa Rica in a couple weeks, and are spending our first night at Buena Vista. We'll be back home 3/26 and I will report in then!

Happy planning-

melissa

boston, MA
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for one night in Alajuela

If you want to splurge I highly recomend Las Orquideas Inn, it is beautiful and they are very friendly. Of the list you have I have not stayed at Hotel Los Volcanes but I walked by there many times and always thought it was adorable and have wanted to stay. Hopefully this helps.

Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for one night in Alajuela

We stayed one night at Hotel Los Vocanos as part of a Montezuma Expeditions package. It was a great value. The hotel (or B&B) is very basic but it is clean, has a lot of charm, and is located right in the center of Alajuela. Our room had a private bath, ceiling fan and cable TV (without the remote). The breakfeast was excellent and the service was good.

What I didn't like was that there were no exterior windows in our room.

Joe

Illinois
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for one night in Alajuela

We stayed there in February our first night and thought it was very nice. They are really friendly and the hotel is clean and comfortable. The grounds are very pretty too. We liked it so much that we booked our last night with them too.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
944 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for one night in Alajuela

Check out the Xandari in Alajuela on the road towards Poas. They pick you up from the airport, which is 20 minutes away, and can take you back down in the morning to catch your flight out or rent a car. There is a waterfall hike, spa, great food, wonderful view of the valley.

Nothern Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for one night in Alajuela

We just returned from our CR trip, and our favorite stay for the whole 2 weeks was at Vista del Valle Planation Inn, which is in Rosario de Naranjo, very close to Alajuela. It's a bit of a splurge, price-wise, but so very worth it. It's is an absolutely GORGEOUS place, the food was top-notch (they have a new outdoor restaurant that is beautiful, too), and the service is friendly and attentive. I cannot recommend it more highly. They sent a drive to meet us at the airport on arrival, which we really appreciated, as it was our first trip to CR (and VdV was our first hotel).

Find them here: http://www.vistadelvalle.com/

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for one night in Alajuela

We just got back from Costa Rica. Stayed at the Orquideas Inn on the first night, and Hotel Buena Vista on our last night.

Orquideas - nice room, lovely grounds, decent view, nice restaurant, and excellent breakfast included (by the pool - open air). Had to pay $10 for shuttle from airport. Was very charming.

Hotel Buena Vista - nice room, beautiful view, excellent service, free shuttle, restaurant nice. Didn't have the "open air" feeling, and wasn't as charming as Orquideas.

Would go back to Orquideas Inn before Hotel Buena Vista, but both are nice.

anchorage,ak
Level Contributor
65 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel for one night in Alajuela

just got back from 2 weeks in CR with my wife and 3 year old. i would highly recommend Hotel Villa Bonita (google it for the details) Humberto and his wife Carmen have a B & B style place that is clean and safe. that also have a free costa rican style breakfast to get you on your way.

best,

will

Chicago
Level Contributor
204 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel for one night in Alajuela

Hi,

I said I'd respond after my trip, and I'm back! I thought Hotel Buena Vista was fine, but nothing special, and I would probably look for a different place (in a similar location) for the money.

My thoughts:

-the room was very clean and spacious

-our room faced the pool and while tall shrubs outside our window gave us visual privacy, there was a lot of noise.

-the breakfast was fine, but the dining room/general ambiance was nothing special.

-we had dinner at Vina Romantica, a cute B&B with amazing food just across the street (had read about it in someone else's post)

-we'd heard great things about Buena Vista's staff, but during our short stay there was almost never anyone at the front desk (we wanted to buy water from them) and when we did deal with the desk staff, they were average in terms of friendliness/helpfulness.

All this to say that it's a good enough hotel, nothing wrong with it, but I had expected more based on previous posters.

Whatever you do, have a great trip!

melissa

Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel for one night in Alajuela

I highly recommend the Orquideas Inn. It is easy access to the airport and has the Spanish mansion/ Tico inn kind of feel. Gary, the owner is talkative and friendly and the staff (Edwin at the bar) seems happy and always approachable.

The inn has that in the forest kind of look and ambiance and the grounds are large and beautiful. Breakfast (included ) was great and you could eat all you wanted. Easy dining in the Marilynn Munroe Bar is a pleasant place to wile away the evening.

We pre booked off the web for our first and last nights in CR and it made them both memorable and comfortable. We will do the same on our next visit down there.

Enjoy