We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something to do first day

Which Alajuela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Something to do first day

We are staying at Pura Vida B&B for the first day. We arrive around 1:10pm. We will be going straight to our B&B from the airport. Is there something someone could suggest as a "mini trip" for the kids that first day near Alajuela?

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something to do first day

Are you talking about the day you arrive, or your first full day? If the day you arrive, how long will you have already been traveling by the time you arrive? (including the time you left your house, drove to airport, spent on planes) And how old are the kids? We just chilled out our first (half) day - took a short hike around our lodgings, jumped on the trampoline and played ping pong, talked about differences we saw from home, etc. The boys all fell asleep during dinner (without having eaten much!). [Our boys were 4, 7, and nearly 10, and we'd left our house at something like 5 AM eastern time...]

If your first full day (after a good night's sleep), there's always La Paz waterfalls or Poas volcano! I'm sure others will have more suggestions, I don't know the Alajuela area all that well.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something to do first day

My first inclination was to suggest Poas or La Paz as well but after briefly considering it, I quickly dismissed it because I figured that you would be at your hotel by 2 pm, placing you at Poas or La Paz closer to 3 pm. La Paz is only open until 5 and frankly, there is no point in rushing through it.

I think your best solution might be to contact Berni - he's the owner of Pura Vida and posts here as well. Since he's lived in the area for several years, I can probably point you toward activities that are close, worthwhile, and that won't lead to total exhaustion.

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Something to do first day

I think we will stay in that first night. I think you are right the kids (and us) will be tired and the kids will probably want to stretch their legs a bit as we are driving to MA the next morning. Sometimes it is good to hear a "sanity" answer!!!!(mabe a better "mini trip" would be to the store to buy some beer....)

only 74 more days!!!!

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something to do first day

How far is the Serpentarium? That might be a good thing to do for a couple of hours.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something to do first day

If you decide you want to go out you can ask the owner about zoo ave or the butterfly farm. You might also enjoy taking a Taxi to the main Alajuela square and getting ice cream. I would keep it open ended and see how you all feel. The kids may just need a place to run around for awhile.

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
320 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Something to do first day

Yes . . . I'll chip in on Alajuela (Berni/Pura Vida) . . . the Sepentarium is near Grecia and a bit too far to "accomplish between 3 and 5pm". If it were a Friday afternoon we'd thoroughly recommend the Plaza Ferias - the biggest (and best IMHO) farmers market in Costa Rica. For a couple of hours any afternoon even if it is raining you can't beat Zoo Ave (the biggest bird rehab in Central America and a really very well done Zoo). Most of the year Doka Coffee has a "last tour" at around 3:30pm (they do a nice tour, not at all cheesy and some lovely 100 year old machinery) - that's a maybe as it is another 15 minutes up the hill if you don't get lost. Most everything shuts down after 5pm. And it is dark at 6.

Good luck with the planning, Berni

p.s. a small plug for a friend for a great kids activity - The Children/s Butterfly farm owned by Alexis near Heredia. This is a marvelous kid's 1/2 day of learning, experimenting and experiencing.

7. Re: Something to do first day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 22:19