We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

milwaukee
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

We are planning a trip arriving into SJO at 1130 pm on November 20th coming from Chicago. What hotel would you suggest for a family of five, (kids 13, 11, and 8)? I would prefer a small hotel or b and b rather than a chain, but we'll be tired. Also, it is difficult sometimes to accomodate 5 comfortably with/without getting two rooms. I am assuming getting past customs etc. we will not leave the airport until after midnight. Will a small hotel pick us up or should we just plan on two rooms at the Hampton Inn. Looking at Orquideas, Casa Bella Rita, Pura vida, adventure Inn, etc. Thanks in advance everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Bed and breakfasts in Alajuela
Pura Vida Hotel
Pura Vida Hotel
#1 of 67 B&Bs / Inns in Alajuela
Alegria Bed and Breakfast
Alegria Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 67 B&Bs / Inns in Alajuela
Vista Linda Montana
Vista Linda Montana
#3 of 67 B&Bs / Inns in Alajuela
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

Just a suggestion and question.

If you have hilton points or even Marriott you can get a place in CR like the Hampton Inn for free.

If you don't have either card just signing up for one will give you 25,000 initial points enough for a room or off set the cost of 2 rooms.

Most taxis can take you to the B&B's in Alajuela for around $5.

Some B& B's have roll out beds in addition to your 2 double beds.

Adventure Inn will cover the cost of your taxi as a discount toward your room.

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

For late arrival...Adventure Inn...just 10 minutes from SJO...good for one night...

Orquideas Inn...about 30 minutes from SJO...no good area at night around there...

Hampton Inn is a great choice...safe and nice...just 3 minutes from SJO

Pura Vida...to far...at least the Pura Vida up in the Alajuela hills...sorry we have a few Pura Vida hotels!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Pura Vida Hotel
Pura Vida Hotel
819 Reviews
Alajuela, Costa Rica
Alajuela
Alajuela
milwaukee
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

Thanks! That really helps to narrow down what is close to the airport. I am a hilton member but don't have a lot of points right now. Sounds like Hampton Inn or Adventure Inn are the frontrunners unless anyone else has ideas! Thank you all

Texas
Level Contributor
328 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

We loved Adventure Inn. We got in late too - around 10pm. Their desk is open 24 hours and they count your cab fare towards the price of your room, so you don't have to worry about them picking you up at a late hour. I don't know about 1 vs 2 rooms - there are two beds in each (I think they were queens?) I know my 13 and 10 yr olds would REFUSE to share a bed (half the reason they stay home with the grandparents when we go on vacation ;-) but they might have an option of a layaway bed. The rooms are certainly large enough for that.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

The Holiday Inn Express is right next to Hampton Inn, is another good option.

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
346 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

The Pura Vida Hotel is 10 minutes from SJO for the evening arrivals, FYI, thanks,

Berni

Alajuela

Mentioned in this post
Pura Vida Hotel
Pura Vida Hotel
819 Reviews
Alajuela, Costa Rica
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Alajuela
Alajuela
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

The Holiday Inn Express is right by where all of the car rental places are so after a long day of traveling, I think this is a great place to stay. The last thing you want to do is go try to find a hotel...you'll be tired and your car rental place will literally take you right by this hotel.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

Adventure Inn is a decent option. I don't like Hampton or Holiday Inn personally, but for just a sleep it's ok. Orquideas Inn is great, just had another stay a few days ago and the Orchid pool suite is large and could accomodate a rollaway. Casa 69 room with two king size beds is wonderful and huge.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

www.casabellarita.com my fav for boutique B&B

www.puravidahotel.com

usually will do free SJO pickup...have fun,

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late arrival SJO with 3 kids where to stay

We have a similiar late arrival for our upcoming family trip and chose the Marriott Residence Inn in Escazu. This is a brand new hotel that offers 2 bedroom suites with kitchens, pool and free breakfast. We find that we all get a better sleep when our young daughter has her own bedroom. We will have to catch a cab from the airport to the Residence Inn, but National Car Rental will deliver our rental the next morning to us at the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Escazu
Escazu
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica