We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alajuela birding motels

Which Alajuela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, tX
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
alajuela birding motels

Any modest hotels in Alajuela with good birding on the premises?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alajuela birding motels

Alajuela is both a town and a very large province. Under the assumption that you're talking about a place to stay within an hour of the airport I'd suggest the Poas Volcano Lodge, used by some birding tour groups: birdwatchingcostarica.com/ing/programs.php… or if you want to be closer to the airport check out the Hotel Bouganvillea, 20 minutes away: costaricabirdingtours.com/birding_bougainvil…

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alajuela birding motels

Not cheap but nice...Vista del Valle...a lot of birds around...

roadadvisor

San Antonio, tX
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alajuela birding motels

Sorry - Yes, I was talking about the town of Ajuelas. The closer to the airport the better.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alajuela birding motels

Also - La Rosa de America.

Really not that much that is very close to the airport because it is an urban area. But 20 minutes or so from the airport, you can be out of the urban area, into the hills surrounding Alajuela or on the north side of town - which is La Rosa de America is located.

Just so you know - when people speak of "motels" in Costa Rica, they are talking about a place to... uh... well... have an assignation or take a girl. Not at all the same meaning as in the US.

Edited: 06 April 2011, 00:23
Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: alajuela birding motels

Orquideas Inn has fairly decent birding FIRST THING in the morning- at first light. Quite a few flowering shrubs, some trees and scrub on the property to attract the birds, but they disperse when things get a little busier around the hotel.

Hotel Bouganvillea is better - more habitat- but a bit further away.

I haven't stayed at Vista de Valle or the lodges around Poas, but these are all in good habitat and should have good birding.

cheers

Jerry

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alajuela birding motels

Orquideas Inn is pretty good--especially in the morning. Several blue-crowned mot mots there.

Heredia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: alajuela birding motels

El Cafetal Inn, few minutes from the airport, in a morning walk in the gardens can see

Keel-billed Toucan

Tropical Screech-Owl

Blue-crowned Mot-Mot

Squirrel Cuckoo

Blue-throated Golden-tailed

Rufous-capped Warbler

Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl

Rufous-naped Wren

Lineated Woodpecker

Hoffman’s Woodpecker

http://www.cafetal.com/

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alajuela birding motels

El Cafetal looks nice - but - it really is not in or close to Alajuela and is 30 minutes from the airport.

Also - RealAdvisorCR - you are aware that this question was asked on April 5th, about two months ago?

Heredia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: alajuela birding motels

yes, but other people could be looking for the same information and we never know if still helps 2 months later

thanks, you could be right, I will not answer real old questions

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: alajuela birding motels

Well, you have a point there, realadvisor. Up to you, really - I just wanted to point out that it was old.