We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alajuela to Manuel Antonio and then to Puerto Viejo

Queensbury, New York
7 posts
Save Topic
Alajuela to Manuel Antonio and then to Puerto Viejo

Arriving March 21 and staying in Alajuela overnight. What is the best travel option to get to Manuel Antonio for two nights and then getting to Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean. Also what hotels in Manuel Antonio would you recommend . We like nice hotels but not chain or modern ones. Don't mind renting a car if I would be able to drop it off in Puerto Viejo where my daughter is renting a house for the month.Any suggestions would be appreciated. traveling with a friend.Thanks,

Ron

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alajuela to Manuel Antonio and then to Puerto Viejo

If you do not mind renting a car, IMO this is the best way to see Costa Rica. No parameters, go at your own pace, see more, do more, its a no brainer.

As far as what car companies are in PV, My advice is check out the Puerto Viejo Satellite site, do a search in google it will come up. Pretty sure there is a list of rental companies there on the PV site.

A DE from the area will be chiming in soon and can help.

Cheers

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alajuela to Manuel Antonio and then to Puerto Viejo

It's a rare occasion when I disagree with Incabod but if you only have 2 nites in Manuel Antonio and don't want to keep a car when visiting Puerto Viejo it makes more sense to fly from SJO to Quepos on SANSA and take a short taxi ride to MA. Instead of a 3 hour drive @ way you'd have a 20 minute flight and then you can take a shared shuttel bus from Alajuela near the airport to Puerto Viejo in the afternoon or hire a private driver to take you from SanJose on to Puerto Viejo. I don't think it's such a good idea to hire a car and drive 10 hours total for 2 nites in MA and a dropoff in PV.

Edited: 28 January 2012, 21:11
Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alajuela to Manuel Antonio and then to Puerto Viejo

Hi. I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this discussion? I am planning our first trip to CR for next year (Feb. or March of 2013). Our itinerary is a "work in progress", and I have learned so much from the very helpful, Costa Rica destination experts on TA. My husband and I have decided to rent a car for at least the first portion of our trip (Alajuela la to La Fortuna/Arenal, to Monteverde). We were going to drive from Monteverde to MA, with a lunch stop in Jaco.. After reading this post I am wondering if we should turn the rental car back in and fly from SJO to Queopos per crfan's advice above.

We are thinking of 2 or 3 nights in the Manuel Antonio area and then onward to PV - just like Ron P. We also do not want a car in PV, except for maybe a day rental. It appears from my reading that MA is easy to get around in and has a well developed/reliable public transit system and that we should easily be able to travel about there without a car? With the exception of a stop @ Jaco for lunch (and maybe trying to find Limoncito Beach, which I still cannot pinpoint) does it make much sense for us to continue to have a rental car in MA? I will admit that the MA portion of our trip is my weakest so far in knowledge base. I am thankful for your wisdom and advice.

4. Re: Alajuela to Manuel Antonio and then to Puerto Viejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2013, 10:25