We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Budget Rent-a-car SJO Airport Location!

Which Alajuela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Budget Rent-a-car SJO Airport Location!

I wanted to warn everyone about renting from Budget Rent-A-Car in Alajuela. They lied to me and said that you are required to purchase additional insurance to cover your rental and they forced us to purchase it. We already had insurance to cover the car; no additional insurance is needed. I couldn't prove this until I got home and when I contacted Budget about it, they said that location is a "licensee location" and so basically you have no recourse against them. I wanted to warn others so that you can avoid being scammed by them like I was.

I wish Trip Advisor would include car rental reviews so that we could add some accountability to these places, and maybe I could have avoided this company.

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Beware Budget Rent-a-car SJO Airport Location!

Julia&Rorys, Can you expand on the ATV accident and what happened in terms of insurance, damage etc. I just posted about ATV insurance inquiring about coverage etc Tx.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Beware Budget Rent-a-car SJO Airport Location!

I found out about the liability insurance this past December in Cancun. It is not on your reservation, but it is now required by the law. Just chalk it up to lesson learned and be prepared for it next time.

33. Re: Beware Budget Rent-a-car SJO Airport Location!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 18:32
Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
88 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Beware Budget Rent-a-car SJO Airport Location!

Mr. Varagas, I appreciate your email, however you did not provide a personal contact number or email.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Beware Budget Rent-a-car SJO Airport Location!

Sue G: In his post, he wrote: "pvargas@budget.co.cr" - did you want him to give you his private, personal email? And if so, why? Also - phone numbers for Budget Costa Rica are on the website. Do you want his private, personal cell phone number?

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
88 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Beware Budget Rent-a-car SJO Airport Location!

He also said he would be like "personally" solve my inconvenient experience in CR with his company. English can be tricky.

BTW - are you Mr. Vargas' representative?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Beware Budget Rent-a-car SJO Airport Location!

No - I have nothing to do with Mr Vargas, never met him. I rented a car once about 12 years ago in Costa Rica but can't remember who I rented it from.

I think that if you would try his work email, he will probably respond to you. It's a bit much to expect someone to give you their personal, private email and cell phone number.

I am sure he meant "I will take care of this for you myself" instead of "email me and I will have one of my minions deal with it."

Maybe he won't be able to work things out to your satisfaction, but I give him credit for trying.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 00:32
Alajuela, Costa Rica
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Beware Budget Rent-a-car SJO Airport Location!

Please contact me pvargas@budget.co.cr I will help you

39. Re: Beware Budget Rent-a-car SJO Airport Location!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 05:16