We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Alauela like?

Which Alajuela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
What is Alauela like?

I am trying to decide if we should stay in the town of Alajuela or outside of the town center. Is it a nice to walk to restaurants and sit in the town square? Is is super busy and traffic-y?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Alauela like?

oops! I just noticed that I left off the J in Alajuela!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Alauela like?

Alajuela can be busy with a lot of traffic - but not all the time. If you stay in the area near the center of town, you can easily walk to restaurants, shopping, banking and visit the Cathedral and the Central Park as well as the Central Market. It's a good opportunity to get to know a Costa Rican city.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Alauela like?

Thank you Hattie!! I so appreciate your advice!!

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Alauela like?

Just don't expect this to be some small version of Santa Fe or the like...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Alauela like?

That is very good to know!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,860 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Alauela like?

Just as a different viewpoint I find Alajuela overrun with traffic and an upleasant place to hang out. There was a lot of street construction underway in March when we were there. Traffic was worse than San Jose, if that's possible, and the environment at the central park was hot dusty noisy and anything but restful. I love staying outside town in the surrounding hills but based on daytime visits would not ever want to stay right in town. Just my 2 cents.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Alauela like?

Well, that's what I am trying to say - of course, tastes differ, but as a "regular" tourist, Alajuela would hardly register on my radar as a destination where I'd want to spend the night (other than flight related).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Alauela like?

Thank you so much, Cfran and Framptonan!! I think that I might of intuitively known that is what you were hinting at as I have shift our lodging choice from city center to Hotel La Rosa de America. I was very worried about it and no one was really coming right out and saying that. I am super glad that you said so!! It is important to know, when booking from afar! I have had people tiptoe around big issues like that and it did ruin one vacation for us.

9. Re: What is Alauela like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:17