We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

Which Alajuela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

We will be arriving at SJO in the evening and plan to stay in Alajuela for the night (no lodging booked yet). We would like to take a bus the next morning (not too early, though) to Cahuita. Does anyone know information about buses from Alajuela to Cahuita? I understand that (most) buses within Costa Rica do not have a toilet. I'm not sure my 60ish bladder will be able to hold on as long as it takes to get to Cahuita. Do the buses stop for toilet breaks? Does anyone know about QUIET lodging near the bus station in Alajuela? Many thanks in advance.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

The bus will start in Alajuela and bring you into San Jose to the Caribbean Bus terminal, and there will be time for a stop there. Here's the link http://thebusschedule.com/cr/index.php just plug in the locations and date for travel. All told, the trip is about 5 1/2 hours. There will be stops along the way, and you can ask the driver to stop (baño por favor) and he should accommodate you.

Have a great trip.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,275 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

Hi,

Just to clarify a bit. Unless something has changed significantly there is not one not one single bus or bus company for this trip. The buses from Alajuela will take you into downtown San Jose -but not to the terminal for the Cahuita buses. These buses are run by a completely different company. You will have to take a taxi but it should only cost a few dollars. Once at the

Caribe terminal you can use the banos. There you will buy your ticket to Cahuita. When I took the bus to Puerto viejo which is the same bus, it stopped at least once for a barhroom/snack break.

It is not a hard trip but just be aware that there are 3 steps to it.

Pura vida

raquel

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

Raquel, thank you for clarifying.

This past March I spent a long weekend in Puerto Viejo and traveled by bus starting in Grecia. At the Caribe bus terminal in San Jose there are public restrooms which cost around 100-200 colones (20-40 cents). Pay the restroom attendant.

The 10am bus I took (Autotransportes Mepe) stopped at a restaurant with restrooms in Puerto Limón for a 20 minute break. This was about 3+ hours into the trip. No charge for the restrooms at the rest stop. There wasn't a toilet on board the bus, so plan accordingly.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

I would spend the first night in San Jose instead of Alajuela so that you are closer to the bus station to the caribbean

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

MikeA943 is right, perhaps a San Jose hotel, or one like The Adventure Inn http://www.adventure-inn.com/ which is fully bilingual and on the way (the bus stops at Los Arcos on the hiway, and you could walk in or have a taxi take you in).

To Sodomojo, when you left Grecia, did you taxi it to the Caribbean terminal from the Grecia bus terminal?

And of course Raquel is right, as I am not in Kansas anymore, each company has its own terminal, and Tuasa would come down Paseo Colon to down town, where a short taxi would take the traveler to the Caribbean terminal (a walk would be too far, and up a few hills, then down a long one).

I apologize for the confusion, hope you find things OK.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

I made this journey a few times while very heavily pregnant and more than once had to ask the driver to stop at the gas station for the restroom. If it gets too much; just ask for an unscheduled stop!

Have a great trip!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

CajonTraveler - Yes, I bused from Grecia to the terminal in San Jose. Took a taxi from there to the Caribe terminal.

Betty4889 - I think the driver would stop for you in a 'restroom emergency' so long as it's somewhere convenient to stop at a gas station, etc.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

If it was me, I would spend the night near the airport, the next morning take a taxi to the Caribe Terminal, from there there are several daily buses schedule for Cahuita. Check www.puertoviejosatellite.com/transport.php for more info. There is a schedule stop in Limon, about 3 hours from the terminal.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

Thank you all for your information and suggestions. I am thinking about the Adventure Inn for our first and last nights, and maybe a couple of nights to do the San Jose stuff. I found the Caribbe bus terminal on a map of San Jose yesterday and it looks like it is in the north part of San Jose and shouldn't be too much of a hassle finding it. I was thinking of Alajuela to avoid traffic hassles in San Jose. Being an "older" lady, I can probably get away with asking for a bano stop. Thanks muchas for the links; it is a big help.

10. Re: Bus Alajuela to Cahuita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 10:16