We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

I am going to Costa Rica for a Honeymoon this December and was trying to decide between Vista Del Valle and Xandari for the first and last nights of our trip.

Xandari seems absolutely luxurious, with amazing views, service, etc.

Vista Del Valle seems less landscaped, and thus more rustic, less gaudy, and more built into the natural landscape.

Does anyone have an opinion on which they would reccomend? Thank you very much in advance for your advice.

Ken

miami
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

I stayed at Vista del Valle a while ago and it was very romantic i thought. It felt very remote and hidden. We had the bungalo hanging over the hill with the outdoor shower. it was a roundish structure with a king bed with netting and mostly glass overlooking the forrested hillside and waterfall in the distance. It was very private, in fact we were practically alone on the property (late April/May). Monkeys woke us in the morning by jumping on the tin roof attached to our hut. There's an outdoor porch. The pool was very nice and had levels and kind of an enclosed feeling. The dining area was great, overlooking a beautiful view. Hope this helps. Zandari looked great also but it may have been more expensive, and i was craving an outdoor shower. my favorite part.....

California
Level Contributor
143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

Xandari was so-so. Although I felt like I was in Hawaii, not Costa Rica. Service wasn't great. Pool wasn't heated (it was high season!).

I'd never go back.. hmm, but you can't really go wrong, I mean it's not like I had a horrible experience and they give you free upgrades! We got upgraded to a HUGE room which was really beautiful!

California
Level Contributor
143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

Oh yeah, and Xandari was borderline gaudy!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
498 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

You could always go to one on the first night, and another on the last night. Xandari is a little closer to the airport. The restaurant there has more options (Vista del Valle has a special every night, but will actually get you anything you want). Xandari has a wonderful spa, if you want to sit around and indulge. Vista del Valle has absolutely beautiful grounds, and all the people there are so warm and helpful. You can stay at the Ilan Ilan or Mona Lisa suites-thatched rooms with outdoor showers and overlooking the canyons, or larger suites that have mini-kitchens and accomodate families. They also have new units that really vary in amenities, but have full kitchens and huge bathrooms that look like spas. Either place is a wonderful, romantic way to start or end your trip.

CA
Level Contributor
374 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

I just visited Vista Del Valle last week. It's about 20 minutes from the airport and they will arrange for shuttle service for $20 total. It is more of a nature oriented place. the pool area is very nice. They can arrange for massages. There is internet service, but no phones (except in lobby) or TV. All of the cottages are very nice. I personally liked the exotic wood suites. The Mango Room was my least favorite although it is the largest room. They also have new privately owned condos that they rent out. Very beautiful and private. The restaurant is wonderful. The best food we had the entire 2 weeks. They have a menu but will make whatever you want. I have many food allergies so it worked out great for me.

Either hotel will be great. Don't let anyone talk you into staying in San Jose. It's a huge hassle.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,474 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

I will split the vacation...one night Xandary one night Vista Del Valle...even that I like a little more...Xandary!!

No many Costa Rica visitors have that dilema..of yours!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

Haven't visited Xandari, but loved our short stay at Vista del Valle at the end of our trip. The immediate grounds have beautiful landscaping but its the setting that really wows you overlooking a deep wooded river canyon. Recommend Ilan Ilan for its setting, but you can stay in the main house for a lot less and still enjoy the gorgeous setting. Food at VdV was excellent. Not a lot to do except laze around the pool (beautiful setting) or hike down into the canyon to a waterfall. We took a two hour morning horseback ride up into the hills surrounded by coffee fields in the morning and the horses were excellent. Highly recommend VdV.

For another option I would recommend Finca Rosa Blanca over Xandari, particularly if you can get the suite at the top of the house. FRB is northeast oif the airport rather than west and its set on a hillside surrounded by coffee fields. The area gets more rain than VdV so everything is greener and more lush.

Good luck. I don;t think you can go wrong with any of your choices.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
133 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

Defintiely Vista del Valle.

The reviews are better and we have stayed there 3 times. Xandari wasn't as nice to us and the folks at Vista will go out of their way to make you feel at home.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

Ken,

I just returned from Vista del Valle and I have stayed at Xandari. It's your honeymoon? Xandari is the HANDS DOWN winner here. Comparing VDV with Xandari is like apples to, er, and onion. Vista del Valle is nice, but, how shall we say, uh, "rustic." Xandari is luxury pure and simple and the views are much, much better. Plus, if you like reading and enjoying your room with yellow bug lights, then Vista del Valle is your place. Xandari has a great spa with little palapas with hot tubs that you can rent for an evening of watching the city light up at sundown while soaking in your private, romantic, and amazing little palapa. Do it right and definitely go with Xandari. You won't regret it.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xandari Vs. Vista Del Valle

We just got back from Vista del Valle, and it wasn't really our cup of tea. The grounds were really nicely landscaped, and we enjoyed the restaurant, but the room seemed really dark and needed updating - dark green sink, dark green toilet, and dark faux stones painted on the walls. The lighting was quite dim. Also, there were no window coverings on the windows, which was fine during the day, but it made us uncomfortable in the evening. Service was very nice, but rather reserved.

Have you looked at the Peace Lodge at all? That spot would be great for a honeymoon. We stayed there for a night and loved it - it's pretty over the top and indulgent and has 5 beautiful waterfalls on the property.