We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty Car Rental SJO Airport Alejuela Costa Rica

victoria bc
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty Car Rental SJO Airport Alejuela Costa Rica

Wonderful, professional and efficient service. Strongly recommend.

We agave rented vehicles in countries around the world. Our experience at this rental agency was excellent.

If you plan to rent a car in Costa Rica, please do your homework regarding: road and traffic conditions

vehicle insurance

The roads are unpredictable as are the traffic and drivers. Some, but not all of the main roads are paved. Others are rough and potholed or gravel and dusty. The traffic is heavy and drivers often pay NO heed to traffic, safety, or rules of the road. Be warned and drive more defensively than you have ever done. Serious accidents are frequent.

The government controls insurance. When you rent a vehicle, you are REQUIRED BY LAW to purchase insurance, and usually, because of the extremely high risk of injury accident, rental companies will offer additional insurance NOT covered by your credit card. YOU ARE ADVISED TO TAKE THE ADDITIONAL INSURANCE. This is not a car-company rip off. It is prudent and necessary.

Do your Research and be prepared for a steep increase in the cost of renting a car--almost double the price before insurance and extra drivers are figured in. DO NOT BLAME THE Person WAITING ON YOU.

We used Thrifty Rental near the SJO airport in Alejuela. We pre booked a shuttle pickup through Expedia. The shuttle was ready and waiting for us the moment we stepped out of the airport. On return, I called a couple of hours prior to drop off and the shuttle to take our party of six pulled up as we were parking our vehicle.

Service was courteous, helpful, professional and efficient. all of our questions about costs were explained as were the insurance options. When we put the charges through on our credit card, we experienced a security block. The rental agency manager provided an international phone line, comfortable chair, privacy and patience while we called VISA.

We highly recommend this particular Thrifty Rental agency.

They Travel Victoria BC

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty Car Rental SJO Airport Alejuela Costa Rica

Thanks so much for confirming all the advice that is constantly given on this forum and for the detailed Thrifty report. Doing your homework is so important for car rental here. Pleasantly surprised to see how smoothly your experience went even with the inclusion of a middleman.

Oregon, Ohio
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty Car Rental SJO Airport Alejuela Costa Rica

can you tell me the cost of the rental car including the insurance for a week?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty Car Rental SJO Airport Alejuela Costa Rica

I will have to disagree with your post all the way.

Terminal Shuttle -- we waited for the shuttle at the airport 25mn, they don't have a desk inside the terminal but a girl outside on the curb among a thousand people holding a piece of paper with "Thrifty". Actually she only hold the paper when she's not on the phone or chatting with her mates...

Pickup location -- 5 minutes from the terminal you arrive to the Thrifty location. There were 2 couples in front of me and 3 Thrifty people at the desk, unfortunately one of them had very low motivation for work. She cleaned her desk, grabbed coffee, talk to the other employees then after 20mn noticing that the 2 other people were not done with the other customers she decided to attend me. We went through all the classic, licence, credit card, information, looked up my reservation... then the other Thrifty guys was done so she asked me to go see him!.. We re-started from scratch: licence, credit card, information, looked up my reservation... then the classic upsale: upgrade, insurance, gas... all the process took me over an hour! I spent 90mn between the moment I arrived with the shuttle until I had the rental contract!

Contract but not car and no keys -- once you have your contract you go outside and someone will ask someone else to bring your car, then a third person will show up and will go over the car with you another good 10 mn!

I took me 2 hours from the moment, I was outside the terminal to the moment I was in my rental car... I have nerver experience such an unefficient and unprofessional car rental company!

THE Flat Tire -- 2 days with the rental we run into a flat tire, call roadside assistance (I took full premium insurance), the lady on the phone tells me this is not covered you can get this fixed anywhere it will cost your only $10. I told her that I wasn't really happy about this because we had plans to go to Arenal Volcano and this will make us lose our reservation and miss a full day on our vacation schedule. After a couple of calls, we told fine we will give another tire but you need to drive to the airport location 1.5h away. I showed up at the airport, they had no spare tired, they told that they were sorry nothing they can do for me I had to wait the next day for my tire to be repaired.

Thanks Thrifty for having me pay the premium insurance and make me lose a $300 hotel night in Arenal and one day of vacation there.

MY personal advice AVOID Thrifty!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,524 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty Car Rental SJO Airport Alejuela Costa Rica

Our roads in greneral are not that bad...I have had driving in a lot worse roads in Vancouver Island...Nanaimo ...the worst roads in the whole world...if you can drive in and around Nanaimo...you can do it in Costa Rica!

I trust more the report from IMLOST IN TRANSALTION than any other `post...really looks like any other BAD report from THIFTYY!

roadadvisor

5. Re: Thrifty Car Rental SJO Airport Alejuela Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 05:16