We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night at Hotel Buena Vista before flying home

NJ
Level Contributor
399 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
One night at Hotel Buena Vista before flying home

After spending time near Arenal (Finca Luna Nueva Lodge), Bijagua (Casitas Tenorio), and Playa Panama (Casa Conde del Mar) we'll spend one night in Alajuela before we head home via SJO.

* Tuesday July 16th – drive from Playa Panama to the Buena Vista Hotel (best route?). We'd like to check into hotel as early as possible, then find a local hike. Perhaps at Poas? Any cloud forest nearby?

* Wednesday July 17th – go see the Poas crater as early as possible (hopefully it will be clear!), then come back to check out of our hotel as late as possible. Eat a quick/early lunch, then return our car (Mapache) and head to the SJO airport for a 3:30 flight home.

Any suggestions on what to do with our time in Alajuela? I don’t think I’m interested in the La Paz waterfall experience, though it certainly looks lovely.

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
329 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night at Hotel Buena Vista before flying home

See if you can make time for the ara project (#1 thing on tripadvisor in Alajuela), it is near airport. The largest rescue and breeding project for the highly endangered Great Green Macaw - they are being evicted from their site and need visitors and donations to help support their move. You will have a unique experience and be helping an extraordinary cause run now only by volunteers.

Berni

Alajuela and Friend of the Ara Project

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night at Hotel Buena Vista before flying home

I second Berni's suggestion. This would be a great way to spend some time in Alajuela.

Otherwise: Please be aware of the time involved in getting from Playa Panama to Buena Vista Hotel and also the time involved in going to Poas Volcano the next morning. Perhaps on your last day, it would be better and easier for you to have a leisurely breakfast, visit the ARA Project, relax a bit or do some shopping, return your car, have lunch and then take a taxi to the airport. Plan on being at the airport around 12:30 pm - no later than 1 pm.

NJ
Level Contributor
399 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night at Hotel Buena Vista before flying home

I'll definitely look into the ARA project. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe it would be good to slow things down before we leave, but I was hoping we might get to see that famous Poas crater and find a short hike in a cloud forest.

NJ
Level Contributor
399 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night at Hotel Buena Vista before flying home

We wound up trying to see Poas' crater anyway and were at the ranger station by 8:00. Alas, the clouds were already present so we didn't see the crater or lagoon. Oh well. We did get to hike through the cloud forest though, so it was well worth it. It was beautiful and quite different from the forests we'd hiked in earlier in our trip (in or near Rincon de la Veija, Arenal, and Tenorio).

5. Re: One night at Hotel Buena Vista before flying home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 07:18