We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Fortuna and Monteverde

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
La Fortuna and Monteverde

We would like to visit La Fortuna and Monteverde and only have 3 or 4 days available to do so. We will be dependent on buses, shuttles and taxis.

Is it possible to stay in La Fortuna the 3 nights and make a day trip to Monteverde? I read it was over 3 hours to drive, but the accommodations I’m looking at in Fortuna say Monteverde is 17 miles away?

9 replies to this topic
nebraska
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Fortuna and Monteverde

Right, it's only 17 miles but that is "as the crow flies". You either need to drive north around the lake, cross by boat or go back down to the highway and then back up.. 3 hrs is a minimum time needed with your own car. Bus will be much longer and shuttles only go a couple of trips each day.

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: La Fortuna and Monteverde

Cheers Joyceh, that will help me to plan it better.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Fortuna and Monteverde

You could do two nights at each location. If you plan carefully enough before you arrive you should be able to do all of the iconic activities.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Fortuna and Monteverde

Many ppl travel taxi (jeep)-boat-taxi between Arenal and Monteverde. Prices vary from US$20 to US$32. E.g., see the description here: https:/…option-1 . Your accommodations might be offering to organize it for US$20 pp.

Useful on-line tool for researching transportation options between different areas in CR- https://geckotrail.com/transportation/ . You can see various shuttles, prices and costs pp. If booking through them, note that they r a 3rd party and read their Terms first. Alternatively, book with the provider you choose directly.

You might like each destination more if you have a few nights at each location.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Fortuna and Monteverde

Maybe one night in Monteverde then jeep boat jeep to Arenal…then to SJO

roadadvisor

Portland, Oregon
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: La Fortuna and Monteverde

We, 2 adult females and 10 yrs old boy, are going to RC early Sat 12/2 morning ...We rented a SUV midsize from San Jose airport and map out our itineray for 12/2 (Sat) thru 12/7 (Thursday)

1- Sat am drive fro San Jose airport to Arenal and stay in area which included La Fontura until Monday afternoon, then head to Monteverde (hotel booked for Sat - Mon)

2 - Arrive in Monteverde around late afternoon, early evening on Monday (we leave 4 hrs of driving time), stay over night, hotel booked and most of Tuesday. Leaving for a beach area for 1 day. Any suggestion a nice beach presented RC for 1 day to relax before heading back to US?

3 - Beach in Manuel Antonio or Quepos? for 1 day (Tues night to Wed, sometime, before head back to San Jose airport to fly out early Thursday am)

4- Wednesday from beach drive to SJ airport (Hotel booked) and fly back to US on Thursday am

Would anyone sugguest highlite activities we should not miss in each area, and nice beach on day 5 (#3,4) We haven't book hotel for Tues night since don't know which area we should be in

Much thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Fortuna and Monteverde

I'm having trouble following your itinerary and don't know what RC is. It seems that your whole trip is 5 days. If I'm correct about that, you cannot go to all of these places. At most, you can do two locations. I don't advise staying in any one spot for fewer than two FULL days; three nights is best.

If your flight arrives late or departs early you may need to stay near the airport your first and last nights. You should not drive in the dark and the sun sets by 6 PM.

Portland, Oregon
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: La Fortuna and Monteverde

Sorry, RC (Costa Rica)...

We actually arrive @0130 on 12/2, rent car in airport terminal and stay in hotel near by airport, and plan leave in early morning for Arenal 12/2 (Sat) and stay until early afternoon of 12/4 (Mon) to drive to Monteverde. Don't know why, but we have impression that there is not much to do in Monteverde, so we decide to stay for only 1 day (1 night); unless we are wrong and you can help us to rearrange the time there, maybe skip beach and stay extra night in Monteverde/near by town? then drive back to airport to fly home on 12/6 Wed? Much appreciate your thoughts

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Fortuna and Monteverde

Now I see that you're not the original poster. I wonder why you didn't start your own thread.

There are plenty of things to do in Monteverde but you barely have time for two locations. It can be done but only if you get to Arenal your first day. You would need a minimum of four nights , two in each place, to visit both places. Honestly, for this short a trip, I would spend the whole time in Arenal.

Reply to: La Fortuna and Monteverde
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...