We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trebol is trouble

La Fortuna de San...
7 posts
Trebol is trouble

Without my permission Trebol rent a car took first the deposit from € 914,41from my Creditcard, after that they took € 457,99 and now what was left on my account € 296,33 and the payment for the costs renting the car.

Does someone know how to deal with this?

The road I drove on was under water. The car got wet. But it was not broken.

Nearby my hotel where two garages. Those two garages said the car is okay, but it needs to dry because it have hypercontact. The rental send a mechanical and that guy said after inspection also, the car is okay. That guy drove with the car to his garage, that was 50 km away.

In the meantime Trebol took also 1.977, - Dollar from my Creditcard.

Yesterday the 27th November I went to Trebol to complain about that and asked my money back. The guy from Trebol said that the car had several damages, they couldn't drive with it and it was full of mud. He wanted to call the driver he send to the garage where the mechanical drove the car to. He first asked that driver if he is able to speak in English. The driver confirmed. Trebol asked him how the car was and if it was okay. The chauffeur replied that the car was okay. Immediately Trebol stopped that phone and said angry at me that the chauffeur can't Speak English. (I've recorded that conversation)

Trebol get verry aggressive and he made a fist and lower lip tucked between his teeth, he shouted that I had to leave the shop.

So, now four mechanics are saying the car is okay. But the rental has taken 1.977, - dollar from my account.

I don't know what to do. This never happened to me before. For Costa Rica I took a Creditcard. Everywhere else in world (I have traveled a lot) I used my debit card.

18 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Trebol is trouble

Paging Maria???Car rental association Maria???

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,113 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Trebol is trouble

Tough position. However before any money will change bank accounts you will have to give permission to your bank, and Trebol will have to provide the paperwork for those charges, like repair etc. Instead of talking to the bunch of anonymous go straight to your bank official and dispute the payment 7ntil tha5 paperwork will be given to you by Trebol.

However driv8ng through water is not insured, and consequences to car lectronics can show up days after. So basically you are on a very thin ice here.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,375 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Trebol is trouble

For credit card I think you dispute it with the transaction processor (Visa, MasterCard, etc) not the issuing bank. They don't need to file any kind of paperwork to make a claim against the credit card account, but you can dispute and get a provisional reversal of the charge usually right away.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,113 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Trebol is trouble

OK, banking is obviously different in Costa Rica (or USA) then in Europe. I've got my credit card from the bank, and each transaction I have to approve (or better I can dispute it). Without paperwork = issued invoice, or similar why would anyone be eligible to payment?!

Deposit is used as a collateral, a kind of an insurance that actual damages or other costs incured will be payed. Yet, no business can just decide on their own how much money to charge, without proper "paperwork".

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,715 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Trebol is trouble

I don not think Maria will like to get involved…she represent some big rent a cars…well let see how good she is…

Try to get in touch with ICT legal department…if you still here as fast as you can hire a lawyer …and leave with mim or her a limited power of attorney to represent you , when you are not here.

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
7 posts
6. Re: Trebol is trouble

I've been to the tourism police and they also recommend me to write to ICT. I've they're mail address and a Formular to write what's happened.

In the meanwhile Trebol took / stole again money from my Creditcard. The amount is now 2.511,- dollar.

La Fortuna de San...
7 posts
7. Re: Trebol is trouble

I don't know who Maria is. Trebol in Fortuna has Marco Garcia.

La Fortuna de San...
7 posts
8. Re: Trebol is trouble

I've contacted my Creditcard association, ICS (International Card Services), but they don't do anything. Even not blocking the findings.

La Fortuna de San...
7 posts
9. Re: Trebol is trouble

It depends maybe also on the association from who you get the Creditcard.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,715 posts
35 reviews
10. Re: Trebol is trouble

Dispute the charges…the credit card can do that…also that will give you time to file the problem with ICT…

Just a short clarification…MARIA is a lady that represents in a way a group of rent a cars…IMO she is just a lobby lady…of course with my whole respect…will be great if she jumps in and help you…then we will have a lot of respect from her…

roadadvisor

Reply to: Trebol is trouble
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...