We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in La Fortuna

Mullen, Nebraska
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental in La Fortuna

Our flight is scheduled to land at SJO at 1:00pm. I have read numerous posts discouraging first-time visitors from driving after dark (6:00pm). I question if we will have enough time to get through customs/immigration and get our rental car and drive to Arenal. I would prefer to get a rental car at SJO but I wonder if we should hire a private transfer and get a rental car in La Fortuna the next morning instead.

Would getting a rental car in La Fortuna be a big hassle/time-consuming? I have read that some agencies will drop the car off at our hotel....does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

11 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in La Fortuna

What a great idea, looking forward to hearing results.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in La Fortuna

There are very few options for car rentals in La Fortuna. If your flight isn't delayed, you should be able to make it to the Arenal area before dark. Are you flying from the mid-west during a winter month?

You could also stay by the airport the first night and get a really early start the next day. Since the sun is up by six, you could still have most of the day when you get there.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,307 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in La Fortuna

I drive a lot of people to Arenal…is just 3 hours nice ride…minutes more minutes less….anyway…most of the people like to deal with Alamo…and YES they will deliver the car at your hotel…

Avoid Trebol ren a car…as far as I know they can be TROUBLE///

roadadvisor

Mullen, Nebraska
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental in La Fortuna

Thanks for the input! We are traveling from the mid-west in the winter, so there is a chance of a delay... We would prefer to get to Arenal on our first night, rather than staying near the airport. It looks like Alamo & Adobe will deliver the car to our hotel...does anyone know how long that process takes?

We are staying at Hotel Kokoro...is it safe to drive in the dark to La Fortuna for dinner?

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
495 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental in La Fortuna

We've rented from Adobe in La Fortuna, no problems. Kokomo is on the main road right outside La Fortuna so it would be fine to drive to dinner at night.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
629 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental in La Fortuna

Will Alamo pick up from a hotel also on the final day of rental? Are there extra charges for delivery?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental in La Fortuna

Hotel Kokoro is one of our favorites - enjoy it!

Is there a way to communicate directly with people at the Alamo office in La Fortuna? Policies change over time and what a poster might have experienced months ago may not be accurate. I would think that this information is either included on their website or they have a link to send an e mail inquiry.

I know from experience that you can communicate by e mail to Kokoro. They can probably help with the arrangements with Alamo and they can get information for you easily.

It seems to me that you need to make the arrangements that way, anyhow. I'm assuming that your plan was not to wait until you were at Kokoro to contact Alamo for a car.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental in La Fortuna

I was mulling the same options as yours- fly SW and arrive at SJO at 1:30 pm, (1) pick up a rental car and drive to LF directly; (2) take a shuttle to LF and rent locally; (3) pick up the rental car but stay close to SJO. I liked option (2) very much but I was too late. There are not as many rental cars available at LF (especially if you prefer to have automatic and 4x4 with decent prices). Option (1) is iffy. Considering that we will have to start the first leg of flight around 5 am (3 am to be at the originating airport) on the first day, we are likely to be exhausted by the time we pick up the rental car. And we have not even factored in the delay in customs and airports. Plus we probably need some time to take care of currency exchanges and purchasing local SIM cards. In the end, I opt for option (3). I book a hotel that is an hour drive from SJO on the way to LF.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,307 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental in La Fortuna

Maybe the best for you guys…take a private driver to LF…in that way you will see and have some idea how we drive and the road condition…also you can just seat and enjoy the ride in PARADISE…about $ 165.00 USD up to 4 passengers …ride duration about 3 hours.

It is safe to drive from Kokoros at night to LF…of course common sense.

roadadivsor

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental in La Fortuna

You were smart "lakebeach" to check on car availability in La Fortuna before counting on that option. Your plan sounds good. It's really nice driving during the day and you'll be glad that you have a car.

Reply to: Car Rental in La Fortuna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...