We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osa & Arenal w/ 2 Teens in November...Advice Please!

el cerrito, ca
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Osa & Arenal w/ 2 Teens in November...Advice Please!

Our family of 4 (2 teens) will be in CR for 9 days at the end of November. We arrive in SJ in the am and hope to get an afternoon flight on Sansa down to Osa where we have reservations at Bosque del Cabo for 4 nights. Then back up to Arenal for the last 4 nights - out of SJ in the afternoon on the 9th day. Sure hope this all works out!

Here's my questions: we are booked at Los Lagos (2 standard rooms), a place I would never stay on my own but one of my teens would be happy a clam to swim all day and never leave the hotel. So we chose it based on the pools. How far is it from EcoTermales? Will we be paying a fortune in cab fare to go anywhere (not sure about renting a vehicle)? Is Los Lagos hopelessly "plastic" or will we actually get a little Tico flavor? Recommendations for good eats close by appreciated as well. Thanks everyone!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
30 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Osa & Arenal w/ 2 Teens in November...Advice Please!

Okay - hope this helps. We just returned on Sat from our 7 day stay - 3 days in Arenal. Eco Termales is a hop skip and a jump from Los Lagos. If you go to the site,

www.arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm

you can see how close you are to the hot springs. Not sure about how plastic the hotel is - we saw it several times as we passed by. I too, had teenagers - 3 18 year old boys and we opted for the rustic route - no pool, at the foot of the volcano, very little tv - the erupciones inn. I could not have stayed at a better place - Jessie, the owner was phenomenal in coordinating all our tours; my son fell in love with her dog; the rain, although heavy, was not a deterrent; we almost ran over an armadillo one night returning from dinner; it was pure Costa Rica. (Sorry, I digressed.)

One of the comments the boys made upon returning home, was how glad they were about the selection of accomodations I had made - we're from PA, but they loved living the life.

For restaurants, I would highly recommend Il Nuevo (on your way to Los Logas), on the left hand side of the ride, with a giant bull out front - outstanding meal (get the garlic chicken - I know this based on another trip advisor reviewer); also would recommend the Volcano Lodge for dinner, another excellent meal.

We rented a diesel Mitsubishi 4 wheel drive car and appreciated every minute - we were never constrained for time, it managed all the rain and all the roads and diesel was the way to go for gas as well.

Have a great time! Feel free to ask for anything else.

el cerrito, ca
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Osa & Arenal w/ 2 Teens in November...Advice Please!

Thanks Parrot21! We aren't sure about renting a car although my husband will go through withdrawel if we don't have one. Did you rent in SJ or Arenal? Way to go getting your kids out of their comfort zone - waaay more educational and satisfying that way.

Susan

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
340 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Osa & Arenal w/ 2 Teens in November...Advice Please!

Hi I am doing the same itineray but reversed and I am staying at yellow cocol odge in Osa with a teen. I too am also booked at los lagos and have the same concerns. In osa we will not have a pool and I thought los lagos might be a good contrast be sure to print a report when you return. have a great trip

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
30 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Osa & Arenal w/ 2 Teens in November...Advice Please!

We actually rented in Liberia, because we flew into Liberia. Also, another thought - don't forget that you can "visit" the hot springs at other areas - okay, it's not actually a pool, but, it might not be pool weather anyhow. Tabacon, Baldi, Eco Termales are all hot springs areas where you can pay to visit, as well as other areas. We did that one evening at Tabacon (the pricier of the three), but it included an amazing buffet dinner, which for 3 18 year old boys was priceless.

As for renting a car, we have done it every time we have been in Costa Rica - we rent on our American Express card, which provides great insurance (which we never needed). My father in law had the bottom taken out of his car, because of the poor road conditions on one trip and he found that it is fairly typical - the rental agency just wrote it down and checked him out.

Enjoy!

California
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Osa & Arenal w/ 2 Teens in November...Advice Please!

We're leaving in two and a half weeks and have a similar itinerary. I've got two teen girls and we're staying at Los Lagos (booked for the same reason as you did), Peace Lodge, Black Turtle Lodge in the Osa and Bosque Del Cabo. First and last night is at Pura Vida Hotel in Alajuela. I'll take good notes so make sure to check back for my trip report. Can't wait!

6. Re: Osa & Arenal w/ 2 Teens in November...Advice Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...