We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose Airport - La Fortuna by Interbus

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
San Jose Airport - La Fortuna by Interbus

Hello, I will arrive to the SJO airport at 12:55 pm on July 3 and would like to go to Volcano Lodge at La Fortuna right away, without spending a night at San Jose. I don't want to rent a car. I've checked Nature Air, Gray Line and Interbus schedules and seems like Interbus is the only option I have because the other two provide transportation only in the am.

Question to those of you who've taken an Interbus from SJO to La Fortuna: Where do they drop you off, by the hotel or somewhere in town? If in town, then is it easy to get a cab to the hotel?

Also, can you walk to the Interbus stop from the SJO airport?

Thank you.

RideCR
Taxis & Shuttles
Costa Rica Adventure & Guides
Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Seven Tours Costa Rica
Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Cultural Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose Airport - La Fortuna by Interbus

They will drop you off at whichever hotel you're staying at, you will select the hotel when you make the reservation.

For departure, select San Jose Rio Segundo and pick-up at Holiday Inn. Just take a taxdi there, it's a busy highway so I would not suggest walking. It costs around $3-5 and takes about the same time.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,659 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose Airport - La Fortuna by Interbus

All depends wich hotel you are going in La Fortuna...and to take the bus by the San Jose Airport is at Calaloo Retaurant (good food by the way) and just 5 minutes by taxi. even that you can walk...I will not advice that...just take a taxi...maybe $5.00

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose Airport - La Fortuna by Interbus

Hola! Interbus has a very long list of places where they drop you off in each town. You will have to be specifically ask them where their drop off points are in La Fortuna and maybe ask specifically if they go as far as the Volcano Lodge. Taxis are not very expensive, so you can always negotiate a price with a driver when you get to Fortuna.

If you check the Interbus site, you will find mention of a shuttle service they provide from the airport to their pick-up site near the airport (Rio Segundo, near the Green Turtle store), which is part of their service if you are booking further travel with them.

The Green Turtle is close to the airport, but you have to cross a very busy and dangerous highway. Pedestrian crossing is not advisable!!! Take their shuttle or a taxi.

If you arrive at 12:55, you should make the 2:30 PM scheduled departure for La Fortuna if you can get through customs/immigration and get your luggage etc and get to the pick-up spot (depending on arrival of other flights at the same time as yours). The next departure is at 5:30 PM. On a slow day, you should be able to get through all the formality within 1.5 hrs.

Hopefully, you will be able to get on the 2:30 bus and enjoy the scenery to La Fortuna!

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose Airport - La Fortuna by Interbus

Thank you everyone. Their destinations drop-down menu is a bit weird. You have to select San Jose, then wait for the webpage to reload, then change the selection from San Jose to Rio Segundo (scroll down). Unfortunately, I realized it after I booked the tickets and arranged to be picked up at The Hampton. Not a big deal, I guess, just a bit annoyed because I could've given myself an extra 30 min and probably saved a couple $ if I managed to arrange a pickup directly from the airport (the departure from the airport is at 3pm and the drive is 30 min shorter).

5. Re: San Jose Airport - La Fortuna by Interbus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2009, 08:17