We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4x4 rental car necessary?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4x4 rental car necessary?

Hi All,

My wife and I are planning our honeymoon for January, both in the Osa Peninsula and around Arenal. We'll be making the drive from San Jose to La Fortuna, and exploring the area around Arenal a bit. I am wondering about rental cars, which I have yet to book. Is it really necessary to rent a 4x4?

Just wondering, as a lot of info says it's suggested, especially in the green season. We'll be there in the dry January, however.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4x4 rental car necessary?

No 4x4 needed in La Fortuna, if you are driving to Osa a 4x4 is nice to have.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4x4 rental car necessary?

Agree as always with my AMIGO Cubanon... 4x4 in your case will be a great option!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4x4 rental car necessary?

You will do just fine in a 2wd - no need for a 4wd in the Arenal area. THere are many responsible, well known, rental car companies in Costa Rica, and I do recommend you book with one of those.

As I've mentioned in prior posts, I always like to recommend Europcar, because they've always provided me with good service, fair prices and good vehicles. You can reach them at www.europcar.co.cr

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
945 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4x4 rental car necessary?

If you are staying at the Arenal Observatory Lodge or the Linda Vista, a 4x4 is pretty nice to have. Difficult to predict the rainfall around the volcano, and the road up to those two places is all dirt and can be rough at night especially (on the way home from dinner since those two places have so-so food).

I'd say a 4x4 is a must for the Osa, whether or not it rains while you're there.

San Jose
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4x4 rental car necessary?

I always recommend 4x4, regardless on where you are going! Just wait until it rains hard anywhere in this country and the road disappears! So you don't know what is under all the water and usually a big pot hole can get you!

So 4x4 is your best choice and gives you better eye sight to (bigger)

Florida
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4x4 rental car necessary?

a 4x4 is better but not necessary. You can tour most of the country just fine in a regular vehicle.

If your intention is to get as deep into the countryside as possible I would go with the 4x4. If you're going to stick to the main attractions and parks you'll be fine in a regular car.

costaricagenie.com

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4x4 rental car necessary?

Good to know regarding Arenal. I was actually wrong about the Osa Peninsula. We're going to the Nicoya peninsula, near Mal Pais, not Osa. Whoops.

Norfolk Virginia
Level Contributor
80 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4x4 rental car necessary?

It's not the 4 wheel drive that is the advantage, but the extra ground clearance that a small SUV gives you. The 4 wheel drive comes with the SUV and I have used it just twice in trips to Costa Rica, both times between Montezuma and Mal Pais in the "green season" . I hope that made sense.

Buenas

R

9. Re: 4x4 rental car necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 05:17