We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-guided hiking or guided tours at Arenal Volcano?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Self-guided hiking or guided tours at Arenal Volcano?

I am wondering if it is possible to hike many trails at Arenal without a guide, as one does at US parks such as Rocky Mountain National Park. Are the trails well-marked? How do you get to the trailheads? If you don't have a car, is it possible to walk to the trails from town or how much does it cost from La Fortuna taxi ride to the trails?

I realize there are a lot of guided hiking tours (most seem to be $40 and up) but I wonder if one could do this more cheaply and enjoyably on one's own. If hiking alone is not feasible, can anyone recommend a less expensive hiking tour?

Thank you.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-guided hiking or guided tours at Arenal Volcano?

You can do it without a guide...once yo pay the entrance fee, they will give you any inforamtion you may need to find the trails...most of them are simple to hike.

One of the mai reasons to have guide there is history information and the location some times of some wild life!

You can get a taxi from La Fortuna...maybe around $ 20,00 to $40.00 each way up to four people for taxi...

roadadvisor

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-guided hiking or guided tours at Arenal Volcano?

good guidebook self-guide no worries...

Sacramento
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-guided hiking or guided tours at Arenal Volcano?

Hi, I just got back from this area and did a lot of hiking. My favorite was hiking out of the Arenal Observatory Lodge. The entry fee is cheaper than the park and they had many well marked and well maintained trials. You can get a trail map at the entry point for the AOL The waterfall was great but the hike to Cerro Chato volcano was definately an advanced hike - take lots of water and your bug spray!

BeccaSmith_79
Level Contributor
59 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self-guided hiking or guided tours at Arenal Volcano?

Does it make sense to rent a car in Fortuna for 2 days if one wants to adventure around? I am thinking that 20$ one way will add up to a lot over a couple of days or so if I am going to see the springs, falls, volcano...etc....

I heard that the public busses are good and affordable for trips around the town and volcano area, though...

Argh! At this point I am so excited about leaving in a day and a half that I am probably over planning:)

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self-guided hiking or guided tours at Arenal Volcano?

It's well worth the money to rent a vehicle in the Arenal area--virtually nothing is walking distance from anything else.

The hiking at the AOL is much better than in the park, though the park does give you a chance to explore the actual old lava flows. But, in terms of wildlife and natural beauty, the AOL grounds are much better.

6. Re: Self-guided hiking or guided tours at Arenal Volcano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2010, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...