We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best driving routes??

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
best driving routes??

We will be travelling to CR in August, renting a 4x4 and have heard the roads can be terrible, causing long travel times. Does anyone have experience travelling from Manuel Antonio to La Fortuna? La Fortuna to Playa Nosara? Nosara to Liberia? Any points of interest worth stopping for in transit? Any input would be appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best driving routes??

Roads are in great shape...as anywhere else...during the rainy season they change a little...but I drive for living here in Costa Rica...and as today roads are great...some people that were here 30 years ago still confusing people about our roads condition!

Maybe around Guancaste specially getting into Nosara...if is a lot of rain...some times they have some floods...but hard to tell...

Just relax buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best driving routes??

www.mapcr.com

Roads are nice paved on your routes

Not "terrible" at all

watch your speed through small towns

so as not to pick up $500 speeding ticket

now THAT would be terrible...

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best driving routes??

Are the speed limits posted, if not what is the speed limit on highways and what is it in town.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best driving routes??

Most roads will have a speed limit sign...and many times is even painted on the pavement road...average is 55 miles...around 80 KPH...

In town...depends on the town and the area in town ...sorry!

People like many other countries in the world...will flash the head lights to let you know that police is near by!

Getting close to Tarcoles in a tiny town called Lagunilla...always some cops there...also by Carrara...and some times getting close to Parrita

And it is a expensive ticket...also PLEASE buckle up about $ 400.00 if you do not buckle up!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Edited: 18 June 2010, 06:17
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best driving routes??

I see speed limit signs everywhere. Just remember that they are in kilometers per hour and not miles per hour so 80 is about 50 MPH and is the maximum that you will see. Most populated areas have speed limit of 60 KPH. Do pay attention because new traffic laws entail hefty fines for speeding as well as passing crossing the solid yellow line. It doesn't matter what everyone else is doing - don't speed and don't pass on the solid yellow.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best driving routes??

Just got back after 2 weeks driving a RAV4 ( 2 wheel driove). Roads are great. Nicely paved. Only issues we had was Tilaran to Santa Elena/Monteverde. Monteverde via Las Juntas to the interamerican highway. Both routes are washboard gravel 20MPH is too fast in spots, but both routes are a pretty drive. Another bad road was Liberia to Rincon via Guachi[pilan hacienda. Same story. Gravel washboard but passable in 2WD. And worth the drive.

June 3 to June 18 ( so called rainy season)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best driving routes??

Thank you nice honest post...thank you STEVERINOH...

roadadvisor

Chicago
Level Contributor
141 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best driving routes??

I drove in CR in June and it wasn't too bad. You just have to pay attention to the signs as the speed limit changes often and there are a ton of schools. Some of the roads in the mountains are very winding roads, and getting stuck behind a truck can be very frustrating, but nothing terrible. I would bring motion sickness medicine though if your family has any issues with that sort of thing. My wife needed it.

Drive from MA to La Fortuna is very easy, just long. About 5 hours. We went a little out of the way through Puntarenas (I think) to avoid some of the really winding roads, but I think it only added about 30 minutes.

Just have patience and you will be fine.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best driving routes??

Agree 100% with Chicago guy...you can also take the short cut...from San Ramon to Palmares to Atenas...Monte del Aguacate...Orotina...Jaco...Monterey...PArrita...Paquita...Quepos...Manuel Antonio....or the other way around!

roadadvisor

10. Re: best driving routes??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...