We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything in town to do?

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
237 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Anything in town to do?

This will be our 2nd visit to the area. We will spend a lot of time at the hotel and some nature tours but, is there anything to keep you entertained in La Fortuna for say 1/2 a day? Historical walking tours? Shopping? Good restaurants? I guess we're just looking for a way to play "tacky tourist" for a few hours.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything in town to do?

There's nothing wrong with "playing tourist"...sometimes those are the best times! :-) Here are our favorite things to do...this is from somebody who lives here:

Rio Fortuna Waterfall hike & swim

Arenal National Park hike

Hot Springs-plenty to choose from and many you don't need reservations

Shopping-there is a ton...all around the main park & church...no shortage of places to buy things!

Plenty of good places to eat: Don Rufino's, La Choza de Laurel, if you want to go to the locals places: Pito Pito (a pool hall right next door) or Hormigas-close to the bus stop.

You'll have no problems fililng up your day here. :-) Enjoy!

Wendy

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything in town to do?

You can also check here: www.arenal.net

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything in town to do?

Nothing worth doing in La Fortuna itself, unless you need to eat or buy gasoline.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything in town to do?

We stayed by the lake and ran into Scott from SoCal who owns the Lava Lounge in the center of town. Visited one evening and had the best dinner. Everything from Tico-US-texmex. Priced cheap to moderate. Nice bar area for hanging out, lots of ex-pats both older 60's types and young hostel types. Great front row seat on main street for watching scene and enjoying the adapted dogs that hang-out there.

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
237 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything in town to do?

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Chill, grab some food and adult beverages, and enjoy the local scenery. Lava Lounge sounds perfect.......and we feed those local dogs!

La Fortuna
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything in town to do?

La Fortuna has so much to offer, if you are looking for good entertainment and a good place to enjoy a few drinks and food I would recommend Lava Lounge. They is lots of shopping to do around Central and within Fortuna. If you are interested in doing any tours I suggest you check out Costa Rica Descents, they specialize in white water rafting but also offer many other tours and provide competitive prices. They are located directly across from Lava Lounge.

wethersfield, ct
Level Contributor
93 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything in town to do?

We ate at lava lounge last week. It was fun, delicious and inexpensive. We also went to Kazan one night for tapas and drinks. The tapas were delicious and huge portions, and very inexpensive. We didn't need dinner that night. We were lucky to be in town the night the fiesta started. It was quite an experience! Can't say I would want to go to the bull ring again, but it was fun to experience a local tradition. Don't miss the art gallery. It's called Onrica and it's right next to the post office. They have beautiful work by local artists, and my friend and I both left with beautiful paintings.

8. Re: Anything in town to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2012, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...