We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tabacon or Hotel Silencio Del Campo

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tabacon or Hotel Silencio Del Campo

Hi :)

My husband and I are trying to plan our trip and were wondering if anyone had any opinions on which of these is a better place to stay? Our biggest concern about Tabacon is how much it would cost to get into town to be able to experience some of the local foods, and also the views of Arenal seem so much better on the Hotel Silencio Del Campo website (sometimes pictures can be deceiving though).

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tabacon or Hotel Silencio Del Campo

If you have the money...TABACON...that is maybe one of the nicest places around Arenal...is a real hotel...great decor...not fake fiber glass rocks...of plastic flowers...

Silencio del Campo is great for families...love the place..run and own by a great 100% costarican family...no artificial ingridients...but is a lot simpler than TABACON....

One great thing about TABACON is the hot springs...but food prices are not cheap at all..

Maybe get a basic set of wheels...about $ 55.00 a day including basic insurance...taxis are not cheap going to town...

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tabacon or Hotel Silencio Del Campo

They are very different and I would say go with Silencio del Campo and you'll have money to do whatever you want! :-) If you stay at SdC then you can walk to EcoTermales (just make sure to have a reservation) and you're good to go! See what you want to do and a car rental can be cheaper than taxis (go to Alamo on the main road...I've gotten a car there for about $45 before).

Have fun!!!

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tabacon or Hotel Silencio Del Campo

I'm also a Silencio del Campo fan. The grounds are gorgeous with great views of the volcano. The breakfasts are good. They have a nice pool plus their own thermal pool. The casitas are large and clean with 2 big windows. Finally, it is close to town. We used taxis for all our excursions. The front desk will arrange that for you. Have fun.

Heredia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tabacon or Hotel Silencio Del Campo

SDC is less crowded and easy walk to Ecotermales hot springs

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tabacon or Hotel Silencio Del Campo

Thank you all so much for your help!! My original plan was to go with Silencio Del Campo, but Jetsetter.com put up a deal for Tabacon for $125/night (which was actually cheaper than Silencio) with admission to their hot springs included so we went with Tabacon.

I loved the feel of Silencio on the website so I sure do hope I don't regret this decision.

Truly appreciate all of your thoughts!!!

6. Re: Tabacon or Hotel Silencio Del Campo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now