We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

Hi - my pops has a bad knee and I wanted to get some suggetions for places that I could take him to on our upcoming trip to La Fortuna and Monteverde. The Cano Negro tour and Arenal Hanging Bridges are a must but are there any other suggestions where the walk wouldnt be too strenuous?

Any tour to completely avoid?

Thanks!

Arenal Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Pura Vida Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Horseback Riding Tours
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

Check here -- www.ruralcostarica.com -- they have some excellent activities that don't require perfect physical condition.

One of the ones they offer is the trip to the Rio Celeste which would be a problem for anyone with a bad knee, but others would be fine.

Head over to El Castillo for the Butterfly Conservatory. Very interesting place and a fabulous view of Arenal and the whole area.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

This ones right up my alley, I used to be very active, then I herniated 2 disks in my back, and I have 2 more about to go...

SOOOO... Now when I can I do more low impact things. In Arenal look at the Safari Float, Kayaking (if upper body is in good shape), Cano Negro boat tour, Project Asis is awesome, Hanging Bridges you can go at a slow pace.

those are a few ideas

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

Of course the Hot Springs...hopefullly Eco Termales...great for his knee...

Easy drive to El Silencio great volcano views...

roadadvisor

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

One other to consider, assuming you still want to see more animals...Ecocentro Danaus. We ended up there after touring Hanging Bridges. My younger son really wanted to see a sloth. (Now that I have seen one, I do not know why this was so important to him.) When we asked the woman at the entry to Hanging Bridges about finding sloths, she suggested we go to Eco Danaus.

I am only suggesting it to you as it is a very compact and level place. Hanging Bridges was a bit of walking. We hiked down to La Fortuna waterfall, toured the Hanging Bridges and hiked to the volcano in the national park all on the same day, so we are not afraid of walking, but concerned about your father's ability to comfortably walk the Hanging Bridges. (I would not consider the waterfall or volcano hike for him)

I loved the earlier suggestions of the float and boat tour and wished we had taken one of those instead of white water rafting!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

I think SkyTrek should definitely be on the list since you take a gondola up, they have their own Hanging Bridges and then you have the option of ziplining down or taking the gondola. :-) Proyecto Asis Wildlife Rescue is definitely a must if you love animals. As you can see there are PLENTY of options of things to do here with a bad back, bad knees, etc...no worries...just come and enjoy! :-)

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

Edited: 27 August 2011, 21:34
Yorktown Heights...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

An absolute must is the Cano Negro boat tour. Although it takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there from the Arenal area it is so worth it. We booked a tour through Canoa Adventura and they were amazing. Small boat maybe 20 people total and we saw an abundance of birds, monkeys, sloths.

I agree also with the suggestion of Sky Trek. We did it near Monteverde and we took the gondola up and then walked through the rain forest over hanging bridges and through well groomed trails. Not too hilly. I had back surgery and my husband uses a brace on one side due to an old spinal cord injury and we did it without any difficulty.

We saw far more interesting birds, animals than those who went zip-lining and we were the only 2 walkers along with our guide. Highly recommend a guide as they point out things you would never see on your own.

Beautiful country. Have a great time!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

Just a word of warning, the Arenal Hanging Bridges involves a fair share of hiking up and down inclines.

New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

Thank you all for your suggestions - we leave on Friday, can't wait!!! So happy to share this trip with my parents!!! :)

Yorktown Heights...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

I was just reminded of several other things that I think you should be aware of. One is transportation from La Fortuna to Monteverde. The road is in bad shape. Very mountainous with lots of bumps along the way. Saw some people getting stuck. We also were there in late November at the end of the rainy season. We were very glad we didn't drive. We took a shuttle, small boat than another shuttle. Definitely the way to go especially if you are unfamiliar with the roads. If you are renting a car ( I would definitely not recommend) make sure it is a 4 wheel drive vehicle. You would be better off leaving the driving to the experts and enjoying the view. Breathtaking!!!!

Also, in heavy rains or even high humidity be careful of your camera. We ruined ours in Monteverde. Might be worth it to take a few disposable cameras with you for those situations. Safe travels. I would go back to Costa Rica in a minute. Loved it! (I have several reviews on TA for Eco Termales, El Silencio de Campo , Canoa Adventura and Don Rufino restaurant if you wish to read them)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Activities/tours for those who are not 100% fit

I loved visiting Project Asis through Desafio tour company. Asis is an animal rescue facility about 30 minutes outside of la Fortuna. DeSafio has a tour where you can tour the facility and then volunteer for about an hour- cleaning cages and feeding the animals. It is a very unique, inspirational place- I think your father would enjoy it. Be sure to sign up for the tour that allows you to volunteer for an hour or so at Asis. They have a tour that combines a visit to Asis with a visit to an organic farm. The organic farm may be great, but then you don't get to spend enough time at Asis. I also liked spending a couple of hours in the town of LaFortuna after that tour.