We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No lava flow at all?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Offenburg, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
No lava flow at all?

We will be at Arenal Dec 27th and 28th. The info page at arenal.net basically states that the volcano is not active at all right now. Now, regarding our hotel choice I’d like to know if there is no lava flow at all, or if we might actually get to see at least something from the right location.

The Hotels I’m looking at are: Observatory Lodge, Arenal Paraiso, Linda Vista, Arenal Volcano Inn.

I guess the whole point of staying at the observatory Lodge is hoping to get to see some Lava, but if there is no flow at all we might as well choose a place with a more central location.

Could anyone help me out and also give me recommendations on the hotels in general? Is one of these really bad, or are they pretty much on the same level?

Thanks, Dennis

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No lava flow at all?

The volcano is sleeping right now, no telling when it will wake up from nap.

Our family has always stayed at the Arenal Paraiso and enjoyed it very much,

nice comfortable cabins, thermal pools, excellent included breakfast, and centrally located.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No lava flow at all?

Another question......when I was last there, (August) even though there was no lava flow, there were still bigs puffs of smoke and ash....is that not happening now either?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: No lava flow at all?

There is no lava flow at this time however it might wake up at any time. The Arenal Paraiso is a nice hotel with its own hot springs pools and more central location

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No lava flow at all?

Yes my dear amiga Allylam...the puffs and smokes keep going on in a daily basis...even about 3 months ago was a nice size eruption...

The whole area is so magical...that even with out a volcano going nuts...stll great!

roadadivsor

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No lava flow at all?

The observatory lodge setting is beautiful. The volcano is right there. It's amazing even without eruptions. the smithsonean rooms have great views. It's a bit remote (about 1/2 hour out of La Fortuna) but there is plenty to do there...hiking (free guided morning hike too), horseback riding, birding etc. While the restaurant food is lackluster, it's adequate. I love it there...it's just so quiet and peaceful.

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No lava flow at all?

oh, one more thing...if you stay at AOL, go into El Castillo and go to the serpentarium...what a great time. We got to hold the frogs, snakes (the huge Burmese python, too), and tarantulas. that was a lot of fun!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
293 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No lava flow at all?

You have a strange sense of enjoyment. I had a 6 1/2' rattle snake in my backyard a few months ago. But I doubt that you would have enjoyed playing with that big boy.

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No lava flow at all?

No, I found it very interesting and educational. Other than the Burmese python, all were native to Costa Rica. We only held non-poisonous snakes. In fact, holding a tarantual helped me immensely with my fear of spiders. Everyone that I've heard from finds the place equally interesting. When I travel, I like to go out and explore rather than sitting at a resort. Might not be your cup of tea, but thought I'd mention it since they might be in the area. And, no, I wouldn't go out in the desert looking for a rattler--just a great hands on serpentarium with a knowledgable guide.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No lava flow at all?

I totally agree with you, LVC1028 - the serpentarium in Castillas is totally worth it. And the nearby butterfly conservatory. Not only that, but from Castillas, you get a great view of the whole area, including Arenal Volcano.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No lava flow at all?

The Observatory Lodge not only has the best volcano views (stunning even without the lava rocks, which are really only visible at night--it's not a flow so much as boulders that glow red at night) but also the best hiking and best wildlife/birds of the area.

La Fortuna itself is a cheesy little tourist/resort town that you'd expect to find near the Jersey Shore. But, staying at the AOL feels like you're a hundred miles from civilization. It's awesome.