We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to La Fortuna Waterfall

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to La Fortuna Waterfall

Hi

I am going to be having a rental car to visit the La Fortuna waterfalls and other attractions in Arenal. How is the drive upto La fortuna waterfall? I will be having a 4x4 automatic.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to La Fortuna Waterfall

Oh you should be fine with your 4x4 rental, it is nice waterfall and a beautiful place. Take your swim suit as you can swim in the river close to the waterfall. Have a great trip!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,474 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to La Fortuna Waterfall

Dear San...

That is a nice easy drive...no I do not do links most of the time I based my advice in my well over 45 yeras experience driving people aroun my whole country!

Once in lLa Fortuna ...find Alamo rent a car office...turn there any way is only one way road coming...turn not towrard the church...to the other side...past a short bridge...and just follow road signs...you will see people walking most of the time toward the falls...the road is in great shape...a little norrow in some areas...but you really do not need a 4x4 at all...

Another nice place to swimm is from the detour to get to the waterfall road...keep going...like if you are heading to Arenal Mundo Aventura main entrance...at he bridge is a nice place...in a clear day... alot of people playing around ...they have a very long Tarzan rope...and is fre!

Just common sense with your belongs at your car...

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to La Fortuna Waterfall

No problems with a car getting to the Rio Fortuna waterfall parking area...no 4x4 needed. Enjoy!!!

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to La Fortuna Waterfall

keep in mind that you don't actually drive to the waterfall. once you park your car, there is a 20-30 minute walk down some very steep stairs i think 460 of them that you have to go back up. not something for bad backs, knees or hearts.

Edited: 25 October 2011, 20:27
Cardiff by the Sea...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to La Fortuna Waterfall

How long of a drive is it from La Fortuna to Puerto Viejo de Limon. Can we drive it in a day We enjoy driving but do not want to cut ourselves short on time and arrive after dark.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to La Fortuna Waterfall

It should be no more that six hours, nice easy drive, beautiful country scenery.

If you leave a t crack of dawn, you can be enjoying a plate of rice and beans and Caribbean chicken or fried red snapper for lunch in Puerto.

Edited: 25 October 2011, 21:50
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive to La Fortuna Waterfall

From Fortuna to Puerto Viejo is approx 5 and a half hours. Have a great trip!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,474 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive to La Fortuna Waterfall

Dear knok.

That is a great question and I can answer that based on my driving experiences based on my well over 45 years driving in MY country ...not only based on links or repeating like a parrot !

From Arenal La Fortuna to road 32 by Aguas Zarcas. and Sarapiqui..about 2.5 hours...from there to Puerto Viejo from there close to 3 hours...depending on the road can be done in less time...but I´m not a irresponsible person to advice to drive to fast in what is considering to be the most dangerous road in our country road 32...

Yes you can easily do it in one day...maybe some nice stop at Caribbean Dish in Siquirres...the best introduction to Caribbean food...order some Rice and Beans with chicken or meat in curry sauce...they cooked around there with coconut oil...SO good...

Antonio and his family have had been around for more that 50 years...even when the road to Limon was not open all the way from San Jose...incredible nice hard working black family...very close friends of mine ...and love by my dear father!

You can leave La Fortuna around 10am..enough time to do the whole journey during daylight!

Please do not hesitate to ask any question any time!

roadadvisor.

9. Re: Drive to La Fortuna Waterfall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...