We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More time in near Arenal or Monteverde?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
More time in near Arenal or Monteverde?

I am leading a group of 8 students 4 adults and 1 child to Costa Rica in April and we are finalizing our itinerary. We are planning to visit Arenal, Monteverde, and Samara. My goal is to keep the teenagers busy with exciting activities. Would we be better off spending more time in Arenal or Monteverde? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,299 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More time in near Arenal or Monteverde?

Arenal is offering more diverse activities then Monteverde, specially for teenagers.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More time in near Arenal or Monteverde?

La Fortuna offers much more to do than Monteverde...Monteverde is beautiful but I was there 2 nights and felt that was enough time. In La Fortuna you've got the lake (kayaking, boat rides, fishing, wake boarding, etc), hikes, zip lines, rapelling down waterfalls, white water river rafting, pools & hot springs, the list is endless! You also might want to check out Proyecto Asis wildlife rescue: http://www.proyectoasis.com. Have fun!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More time in near Arenal or Monteverde?

Dear mary...

We drive and spend more time with our students groups around Arenal...a ot more to do...BUT...if your group is very much into insects...hikes...birds...nice views...I will spend more time around Monteverde...with kids and with my expereince driving them around they like it better more time around Arenal!!

roadadvisor

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More time in near Arenal or Monteverde?

Since you say exciting activities, I'd vote for Arenal. Check out ziplining at Sky Trek and go white water rafting, do the waterfall hike and swim at the base, visit Tabacon or Eco Termales. One thing we've been eyeing but haven't had a chance to do yet is the Venado Caves - looks very fun! The Cano Negro tour with Sunset Tours is a nice way to see wildlife. We've also done the Penas Blancas river float and enjoyed it. Monteverde seems to skew a little older, lots of die hard birders go there although you can find some adventure activities there as well.

5. Re: More time in near Arenal or Monteverde?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 10:17