We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Trip

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Anniversary Trip

Hello everybody,

My wife and I are going to be celebrating our 1 year anniversary in October and we're looking to plan a trip to Costa Rica to celebrate! Originally we were planning on spending a week at the Westin Playa Conchal, however, I heard that it might be too long there, so we're looking into opportunities to break the trip up to possibly include the Arenal area as well, possibly staying at Nayara Hotel. I have several questions about this:

1. Of the hotels in Arenal, is Nayara the best one for an anniversary trip?

2. If we were to split it up so that we stay at both Playa Conchal and Arenal, I think that we'd want to do Arenal first...would you recommend 3 nights in Arenal and 4 nights in Playa Conchal, or vice versa?

3. Which airports are the best to fly to/from for each respective hotel?

4. What is the best way to get from Arenal to Playa Conchal?

5. Are there any absolute must do activities in each area? Any great tours near the volcano area? Which area has the best ziplining? Any tour groups that you can recommend in each area to set up an activity with?

My apologies if a lot of these questions have been answered before...I'm very new to Costa Rica and any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time!!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Arenal Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Pura Vida Tours
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours
Chaves Tours
Sightseeing Tours
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Trip

1. Nayara is probably the most romantic.

2. 3 in Arenal and 4 at the beach.

3. It would be better to use LIR.

4. If you are not renting a car, you can fly to Tamarindo with Nature Air and then take a 15 minute transfer to Westin or hire a driver for the entire route. We usually use Jacamar for private transfers when family and friends visit.

5. In Arenal hot springs are a must. Check out other tours with Jacamar, Sunset and Desafio:

http://www.arenaltours.com/

http://www.sunsettourcr.com/

http://www.desafiocostarica.com/

The better ziplines are in Arenal. I personally recommend Ecoglide as they have quite a few zips, a Tarzan swing and include transportation at a reasonable price.

From Westin, Lazy Lizard sailing and snorkeling is a good tour: http://www.lazylizardsailing.com/

Edited: 20 May 2012, 04:40
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Trip

Nayara is a romantic hotel and has a honeymoon vibe to it - very pretty landscaped grounds, patios with jacuzzi tubs, a wine bar, and good food. I'd recommend asking for a room away from the reception area if you want it to feel more private. Our favorite activities are Sky Trek for ziplining, Eco Termales or Tabacon hot springs, the waterfall hike and swimming, the Hanging Bridges hike, a volcano hike (no current lava though), the Cano Negro tour to see wildlife, the Penas Blancas river float, hiking at the lake, the Proyecto Asis animal rescue center, and white water rafting with Rios Tropicales. Sky Trek has the longest, highest lines in the country with beautiful lake and volcano views - it's a don't miss for us. We usually stay four nights, but up to you if you're more into hanging out at the beach. We love both Sunset Tours and Desafio, both excellent. We haven't done it, but there's also waterfall repelling and caving if those interest you.

Mentioned in this post
Proyecto Asis
Proyecto Asis
1,462 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Sunset Tours
Sunset Tours
125 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Trip

You already have some excellent answers from Volcano girl and explorinCA above, just to throw my 2 cents in, Nayara is absolutely the place you want to go. I went there once with my girl and it is awesome. worth every penny.

Cheers

Washington DC
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Trip

I would say for zipline...Sky trek was a blast. Would also say canyoneering with Desafio...If you do both...do the zipline first.

I also recommend Eco Termales for hot springs...went with my gf and it was romantic and not crowded...and great food.

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Trip

Thanks for the recommendations! Anything else you can recommend for Playa Conchal? Also, are there any tour/transportation companies that would be able to drive us from Nayara to the Westin?

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Trip

Oh lord I hate to mention this, but you do know that Oct. is the HEIGHT of the rainy season? DO expect rain, especially in Arenal. If that's okay with you, then Nayara and Westin are two of the best!

If you want sunshine, look into the Caribbean side, where there is more sun in Oct. Not too familiar with hotels on that side, but someone else can help with that.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary Trip

Jets47 - lots of good transfer options. Here are a few.

Danny from what I hear has WiFi in his vehicles now which is pretty cool for a long trip. Be sure you ask whichever company if they charge to make stops for things like lunch or what have you. Some companies do and some do not. IMO for the price you pay for private transfers stops should be included. Shop around and get a good price.

Oscar Chavarria - oscardrivercr@gmail.com

Willy - w_opciones@yahoo.com

Wilson - wilson_elsy@yahoo.com

Carlos Bogarin - encantados@ice.co.cr

Danny Jimenez - crdannytravels@yahoo.com

Leo Rodriguez - leratravelcr@yahoo.com

Juan Carlos and Rubier - tjtransfers@gmail.com

Tucan Limousines - rocio@tucanlimoservices.com

Cheers

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary Trip

Thanks for the Transfer information Incabod!

Allylam...how bad does it rain? In New York it'll rain for 2 straight days...but I recall times going to Florida and Hawaii where it will rain there only for 30 minutes at a time

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Florida
Florida
United States
Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary Trip

Sorry I did not reply sooner. Your thread got buried or I got lost!

I found this thread again as I am doing my own research because I am now going to Nayara in mid Oct. for a couple nights. I am going to expect heavy rains for the entire time, and if it does not rain for some of that time, I'll consider it a blessing! Are you still going? I'll be there the nights of 10/11 and 10/12...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary Trip

Arenal Nayara is the best...romantic...great location...

Arenal is located at the Caribbean side of our country...during October is not that much rain...of course nobody now days can not guarantee anything regarding weather any where!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...