We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Transportation share with another couple?

Forest, Virginia
Level Contributor
62 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Private Transportation share with another couple?

Do any companies arrange to share private transportation? I'm headed from SJO to Arenal in December and would like to hire a private transport (tucan limos maybe?) but would be happy to share the ride with another couple headed to the same area.

From what I read it sounds like buses/shared transport can be a hassle, it would be nice to get a private transfer and just have them pick you up in the airport.

RideCR
Taxis & Shuttles
Transmike
Taxis & Shuttles
Costa Rica Nature Guides
Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Transportation share with another couple?

There are several good companies to choose from. Danny these days has WiFi in the vehicles which is pretty awesome on a long transfer I think.

My best advice is to shop around. Be careful, some companies will try and charge you for making a simple lunch stop, some will charge $20 - 30 or more for this. They are of course welcome to do this, but IMO at the prices they are already charging for transfers, and in a country where hourly wages are so low, asking that much to sit maybe an hour is too much.

Here is a good list of drivers recommended in the forum. Wilson and Danny get some good reviews.

Willy - w_opciones@yahoo.com

Wilson - wilson_elsy@yahoo.com

Carlos Bogarin - encantados@ice.co.cr

Danny Jimenez - crdannytravels@yahoo.com

Leo Rodriguez - leratravelcr@yahoo.com

Juan Carlos and Rubier - tjtransfers@gmail.com

Tucan Limousines - rocio@tucanlimoservices.com

Cheers and good luck.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,953 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Transportation share with another couple?

Many nice people willing to take you ...it is hard sometimes to find people to share ride...

Some companies will charge for every single stop or even flight delays...thta is incredible greedy...

For long stops about one hour or more...it is for a simple reason...the driver MOST be inside of the vehicle the whole time he or she is waiting for you...the company is 100% responsible for the luggage inside the vehicle...I think $ 20.00 is good considering that the company is responsible for the safety of your luggage. It is very simple...the company is responsible for passengers and belongs as long they have not reach destination...

Who will you call in case that your luggage is stolen from the vehicle you hire ?

Now days even some American Airline like SPIRIT are chraging $ 40.00 per any carry on ...? and in top of that starting at $ 40.00 for each checking peice of luggage...reason...fuel and safety of any piece of luggage...

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Transportation share with another couple?

I have used many private transfers and I have never been charged for making stops on the way nor for a lunch stop (As long as the driver does not have to make a detour for my stops or my lunch). I would understand if I take over 1 hour for my lunch but that is hardly the case. Sometimes a transfer might take more than 4 hours so a stop for a meal is expected.

I have also heard as roadadvisor mentioned that some companies will try to charge for every single stop or even flight delays. Better check all the details.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Transportation share with another couple?

Incabod has raised a very valid point, and MikeA943 has added that it makes sense to get all costs up front. I didn't see in the OPs original post that he/she/they planned to stop for a meal, but who knows, it's a long drive to Arenal. $20US to stop and guard the luggage?...seems like a cash grab to me. Perhaps now is the time to shop that list of private drivers and get their take on this point, or, better still, consider a shuttle like Grayline http://www.graylinecostarica.com/ as I have used them, my family has used them, my business associates have used them, and there never was a hassle or any talk of extra fees. Have a great holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,953 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Transportation share with another couple?

Another good point for example...in the way from SJO to Arenal...out of my daily drives around my country ...the most common place or ride to get car sick is between San Ramon and Santa Clara on the way to Arenal...my advice to my clients...maybe some nice fruit like pineaplle once we reach around Javillos...

Good point is to ask your driver if is good idea to stop for a long stop...maybe you do not have to...any way a transfer is just that ...is not a tour!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Transportation share with another couple?

You might consider asking your driver to take the Naranjo/Llano Bonito/Zarcero route, although a little longer, IMHO, there are fewer switch backs and dips in the road, with many places for pics and short stops. This is my preferred way to reach Arenal. Have a pleasant and comfortable ride.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Transportation share with another couple?

Well, I did not mean to start a long train of thought on this, and this is of course just my opinion, companies here can do whatever they want and justify it any way they see fit.

My only point is in this country, where the politicians, the lawmakers of the country, only make $20 an hour, and most hourly wages are well under $5 an hour, I think stops should come as a courtesy. Many private transfers are already a bit expensive IMO and most don't charge that I know of but some do.

Just ask whoever you contact to be clear on costs is all, and that is all I am trying to convey.

Shuttles I have always found to be a good way to go, shared, cheap, gets from point A to Point B, I've done it a few times over the years and it was never a hassle so long as the times match up.

Write a trip report when you get back and let the forum know what you ended up doing. Have a blast on vaca.

Cheers

Edited: 04 June 2012, 03:47
8. Re: Private Transportation share with another couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 June 2012, 17:35
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private Transportation share with another couple?

You could also check with your hotel. We've booked private drivers through our hotels a lot, and chances are another couple may be coming to the same hotel the same day you are and want to share expenses.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private Transportation share with another couple?

Great suggestion v/girl, I never thought of that, and brings the thread back on track.

Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...