We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing rod

winters ca.
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
fishing rod

I'm thinking to bring some reels in luggage and maybe buying some cheap poles and leaving them to somebody,,,, for Lake Arenal and Papagayo.what are the prices for poles ,,,cheap stuff on average ..If it is too much I might bring my own.I would probably be interested in a 6 or 7foot medium action bass type pole ,,for about 12lb. test. thanks

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing rod

You might check here http://turtlecovelakeclub.com/ Just ignore the real estate pitch, as it is a full service marina. Failing that, when arriving just ask the taxi driver to: "llevarme a una tienda a comprar una caña de pescar" or ask your hotel to source one or two and have them waiting for you when you arrive.

Have a great holiday, and good luck with "the big one"

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing rod

Finding fishing gear is going to be hit or miss, so if you are sure you want to go, then you should bring your own. Bass Pro Shops sells some great roads that break down into 3 pieces and comes with a nice carrying case.

Guapote hot like a cross between a large mouth and small mouth bass. In the morning, cast into shoreline weeds with top waters. Buzzbaits and plugs that you can walk the dog with work great. After 8:30, you should fish deeper water with diving crank baits. You should be prepared with Fire line or a good braided line as the grass is thick and stronger than 12 pound mono.

winters ca.
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing rod

I guess I'll bring my own ,I haven't called the airlines but it looks like I can carry-on a pole or 2I do have 2 spools Ive been meaning to to load the empty with breaded, are the Guapote good eating?worth having a restaurant cook it for me in La Fortuna?..Last time in papagayo I saw roosters on the surface while kyacking this time of year.I'm thinking large top-water while snorkeling I saw a very large trumpet fish (about 5 ft. long )(blew my mind.)spotted eagle rays ,some huge schooling tuna-bass type passing quickly.I'm thinking mostly catch and release ,but I will have a kitchen,At Vista Bahia, and might consider one for dinner,anyways could you imagine catching one of those roosters on 12lb. test ,,what a blast.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing rod

Most airlines will allow you to carry on your rods, but it will usually take place of your carry on bag.

Though a lot of people do keep Guapote, it is illegal. Never heard of anyone getting caught, but that is a choice only you can make.

You can catch Roosterfish with over sized top water plugs. I've caught quite a few of them, but not sure 12 pound test will do the trick. Either way, it would be a great fight. There are usually schools of black tuna in the bay in front of Playa Panama. They're a lot of fun if you can catch up to them. They'll hit large silver spoons.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,427 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing rod

NIce to try to catch a MACHACA in Arenal...they are tiny but they fight as a big one...really nice ...we catch them fly fishing...

Not easy to find a taxi driver to LLEVARME.... to buy a fishing rod or cane.!!!..at the end you will pay more for the ride than bring your own...

roadadvisor

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing rod

When fly fishing what type of flies would be the best to use??

7. Re: fishing rod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...