We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano views from Nayara

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Volcano views from Nayara

Someone posted a hotel review recently saying that even from the Nayara Suites the volcano views are increasingly covered by vegetation. To what degree is this really a problem from a suite?

Weather permitting, we would like to be able to take photos of the volcano (with more than the very tip on show and lots of vegetation at the bottom. Are there any uninterrupted volcano views from the hotel grounds? We like this hotel the best in terms of style and the Springs Hotel is out of our price range.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcano views from Nayara

You could consider the Arenal Observatory Lodge. It's not as luxurious as either Nayara or The Springs, but it is the closest hotel to the volcano and fantastic for photographs.

www.arenalobservatorylodge.com

Edited: 06 January 2013, 12:39
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcano views from Nayara

Great views from Nayara...Honestly I thing some people have way to much time to write funny things...the vegetation in that side of the volcano has been like that for years...

Arenal Observatory...offfer thecothercside ...a lot less vegetation...thechotel is simple...great location...but also maybe the worst food miles around...

Roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volcano views from Nayara

I have lived here for many years and have not noticed an increase in vegetation. There are two sides of the volcano, the old cone side and the new cone side. The new cone side (on the right when observing from Nayara) is still all lava rock (left from when it was erupting, not new). The old cone side is covered in vegetation and has been for years. While I cannot commit to this comment, it has been explained to me that the volcanic chamber on the new flow side is too close to the surface to allow for significant vegetation to take root.

From Arenal Nayara, the volcano is covered with approximately 2/3 vegetation. That said, the volcano is a few thousand feet tall. The vegetation is absolutely beautiful and grows with the volcano, not over it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Volcano views from Nayara

There are tons of great places to snap shots of the volcano. Plenty on the hotel (Nayara) grounds. Also, from downtown La Fortuna, with the church and park in the foreground, and numerous spots along the road between La Fortuna and the lake. The crossroads for the dirt road to the Natinal Park entrance and Arenal Observatory Lodge is a good spot. Even if you don't have a car, I assume you'll be doing some touring around the area, and will have many photo ops of the volcano.

All that said, and I haven't read the original review, I'm assuming that the reviewer may have been referring to the fact that some of the vegetation right at Nayara around the balconies of the individual villas and suites is so exuberant as to block some of the views. Part of this is to ensure and increase privacy from the other villas. Personally, I like and recommend Nayara a lot, and don't find this to be a problem...

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volcano views from Nayara

Thanks for reassuring me. I will stick with the original plan and book Nayara, as it is appeals to me the most.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volcano views from Nayara

You really can't go wrong with Nayara! It's a beautiful place.

7. Re: Volcano views from Nayara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 06:15