We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
185 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

I have a flight that leaves at 8:30 a.m. (check in at 6:30) from San Jose and I'll be staying in La Fortuna. Is it possible to get a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3 in the morning? I really do not want to stay in San Jose overnight.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
547 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

Possible but unwise. What if there is an earthquake, closed roads, landslide, traffic accident, strike etc? Staying in Alajuela the night before wouldn't be so terrible for peace of mind, would it?

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

Any private transportation will have to be arranged ahead of time. You may be able to find a taxi to do it. However I would suggestyou arrange the transportation through your hotel. Hotels do it all the time and know who in the area is reliable. Or you can check with some of the drivers that have been recommended on the forum and get quotes.

raquel

edit - but I agree with Sara that staying near the airport on the last night is not a bad thing.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 18:57
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
185 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

Thank you for your responses. I have emailed the hotel about transportation as well. I understand that it would be wiser to stay in San Jose overnight but I am not really interested in staying there. I suppose that I could leave La Fortuna late the evening before so I don't have to do anything but sleep there and go to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
547 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

Just be sure you see the vehicle first...that is in great conditon...good tires...etc...

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

What benefit you may have from sleeping half a night in a hotel in La Fortuna vs. sleeping full night in a hotel in Alajuela? You can still stay in La Fortuna till 6 pm (when it is dark) and have a private driver to take you on 3 hours drive to Alajuela, coming early enough for a nice dinner and relaxed sleep before your early departure flight. Again, only difference is where and how you will sleep.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
547 Reviews
Alajuela
Alajuela
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

Are you aware that the Airport is not in San Jose? The airport is about 30 minutes or so from San Jose.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 19:36
Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

Please - do yourself a favor and go to Alajuela, this is where the airport is located, the night before your flight. There is lodging of all sorts and prices less than 20 minutes from the airport.

As you say, you can arrange transportation - or even take the bus - and arrive late afternoon or early evening. Have a nice dinner, take it easy and no need to get up at 2 am to get to the airport or stress about what might happen.

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
185 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

Xelas leaving at 6 pm sounds like a very good idea. My reason for not wanting to stay in San Jose is that my time in La Fortuna is short so I don't want to waste time in SJ but if I leave in the evening I can still enjoy LaFortuna most of the day.

Roadadvisor I will be sure to check the vehicle first so I don't get stranded.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
547 Reviews
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
185 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

Latin1970 I am flying Nature Air out of San Jose Pavas and I know its a little bit outside of San Jose.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking a taxi from La Fortuna to San Jose at 3:00 a.m.

There is a very comfortable hotel in Pavas, just a few minutes from the airport. It's not fancy - I stayed there once - but it is nice and about 5 minutes from the Pavas airport. Isla Verde -- and there's an excellent Chinese restaurant on the ground floor.

And you don't even have to go into San Jose -- there's a "cutoff" on the highway between Alajuela and San Jose that will take you directly to Pavas.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Alajuela
Alajuela