We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

Cali
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

Ok, so I know many would advise not going to any hot springs while pregnant, but I've just read so much about how wonderful they are and feel it is a must-do. Of course I would not go in the hottest pools--maybe feet only. And I would not stay in for very long even in the warm pools. My OB said it should be ok for <10 minutes at a time. And my hubby has never been to any hot springs so I want him to be able to experience it!

I'm wondering if anyone knows which of the 2 hot springs has the most "cooler or just warm pools" for me to go in, rather than the really hot springs.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

All of the hot springs here have pools with varying temperatures. With that said, you should consult with your doctor before doing so.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

In this case, Tabacon has a far greater number of pools, and several cool pools. It's also a bit like the Disney of Hot Springs, and I don't mean that in a negative way. For someone who's never been, it'd be pretty fun. The landscaping alone is gorgeous (although it's also very beautiful at Eco Termales)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,571 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

You could also skip the hot springs and just pick a hotel with its owne smaller hot springs pool. Don't bother with Tabacon unless you go during daylight hours to enjoy the gorgeous setting. You could head there in the afternoon and make a spa appointment to occupy part of your time while your husband enjoys more time in the hot springs. They have a great (but pricey) spa right next to the hot springs area.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
636 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

Try El Silienco - we stayed there and the pools were great...smaller and never busy (we were there over Christmas break)...that way your husband can dip any time and you can join him - there are cooler pools and steps to sit on...or the edge of the hot pool. The larger pool also is hotter at one end where the spring is. there is also a small covered bar next to the big pool where you could sit if not in with him. You can also get a massage or facial on site - they gave us a free mini facial since we stayed for 2 nights.

With all the huge buses I saw at the larger springs, I couldn't imagine how busy it would be in there...the smaller springs will be much more relaxing for you!!

The hotel itself was fine - private unattached cabins. Breakfast included.

have fun and congrats on your new baby!

lwbc

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

Tabacon is going to give you the most options. I love cr's advice to explore the spa - it always gets good reviews. The pools were crowded for us when we went though.

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

I had the same question before my CR trip in December, and majority told me to avoid Tabacon and settle for the free ones or use the one in my hotel (El Silencio del Campo). Of course, my question wasn't pregnancy related but it was whether Tabacon was worth the price. tripadvisor.com/…46277035

I was set for avoiding Tabacon, but somehow, I just felt like going there when I was in Arenal... ...and I'm glad I did. You can read my experience (post #8) in the same thread above or read my review: tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

All I can say is that if you can afford it, do visit Tabacon. If not now, then on your next trip. I was staying at El Silencio del Campo and I soaked in their hot springs too... ...they were pitiful compared to what Tabacon offers. Whether to visit it while you are pregnant is something that I cannot answer, but Tabacon had very many pools with water of varying temperatures.

Good luck! And enjoy CR! Pura Vida.

Edited: 18 January 2013, 18:17
Cali
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

Thank you all! Very helpful advice! Wish I could 'like' or 'thumbs up' all your posts! I sort of feel like Dukkar in that if I skip Tabacon I'll be missing something.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

It's pretty and elaborate, particularly the ones with the waterfall feature. You just have to decide if the cost is worth it to you.

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

And in all this CR excitement, I forgot to wish you "CONGRATULATIONS"!!!!! :-) Have a safe pregnancy and a healthy bouncing baby!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
483 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eco termales vs Tabacon Hot Springs -- 4 months pregnant

We loved Ecotermales. The dinner was totally worth it too. We were there Jan 1.

Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...