We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Water Rafting?

9 posts
Save Topic
White Water Rafting?

White Water Rafting, Balsa River Class II & III

Costa Rica Descents ($85/4.5 hrs) vs. DESAFIO ($69/4.5 hrs)

The trips sound identical, regarding what’s included. Can anyone help us decide? We'll be there Feb 23, 2013.

Both myself and my wife are in our 40’s, no experience.

Thanks,

Cory

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,765 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Water Rafting?

Dear Cory...I´m a former river guide and a outfitter...since Desafios open operations in La Fortuna area...I have had been dealing with them...and for years...until today not a single complaint...lovely people to deal with and extremely proffesional...they know about rafting...sorry I do not know anything good or bad about the other company!

roadadivsor

Edited: 25 January 2013, 04:32
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Water Rafting?

$85 is pretty steep for the class II and III section of the Balsa. Desafio is a good company as is Wave. You do not need experience for this river. If you are nervous, just ask to sit towards the back of the boat as it will be a smother ride.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Water Rafting?

I had a question about this as well. i would like to do a rafting trip from Arenal and both my wife and i have no experience. Can we handle class III & IV and does anyone have any recommendations for which rivers?

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Water Rafting?

Class III's & IV's are no problem. I had a terrific experience with Rios Tropicales on the Pacure (National Geographic rates it as one of the top 5 rivers in the world.). Just listen to the guides - they are English speaking, highly professional and personable. If you can get Ronald or Luis, they are terrific. If you can work it in to spend the night at their ecolodge, I highly recommend it: a highlight of our vacation.

I choose this company because of reviews on Lonely Planet, and research that told me their owner/founder is active in ecological movement there to save rivers from being dammed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Water Rafting?

Thanks i cant get to the Pacuare unfortunately anyone have any recommendations for rivers around arenal?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Water Rafting?

seems 3 and 4 might be too much.

we did the desafio 2 and 3 - they are a good company- at our hotel one woman broke a toe and one guy had a n injured thigh on the 2/3.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: White Water Rafting?

I just took the La Balsa river with Desafio last week and they did a great job. It is an easy river, great for beginners and fun.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White Water Rafting?

From Arenal, Desafio is the only way to go for adventure tours.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White Water Rafting?

We used Rios Tropicales and did the Sarapiqui; we had a lot of fun, and the guides were very safety conscious as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White Water Rafting?

How far was Sarapiqui from arenal?

Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...