We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Silencio vs Leaves and Lizards vs Lost Iguana

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SF
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Silencio vs Leaves and Lizards vs Lost Iguana

Trying to decide between a July stay at Hotel Sliencio, Lost Iguana or Leaves and Lizards. Because our kids have not traveled abroad much, I want to make sure it is as fabulous an experience as possible. We would like beautiful grounds and a comfortable room/cabin. The springs and pools at Silencio are extremely appealing, though it does not look as appealing and interesting as Leaves and Lizards. And we keep hearing great things about the Lost Iguana. We will have a car. We will be doing various activities in the mornings, but spending time relaxing at our hotel during afternoon rain and evenings. I may be skipping some of the adventurous activities and spending more time at the hotel--is one a more idyllic place to spend time and relax? I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Many thanks for your generosity.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,878 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Silencio vs Leaves and Lizards vs Lost Iguana

Personally I would go with Silencio given those options. The hot springs tip the balance for me. I think the Lost Iguana is also great, but I dig the springs at silencio. Leaves & Lizards is a bit too isolated for my taste. More will chime in soon.

SF
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Silencio vs Leaves and Lizards vs Lost Iguana

Thank you. I have now discovered Los Lagos and Arenal Kioro, both of which we can afford at this time of year. What do you think is the nicest of these as well as Lost Iguana and El Silencio, or others? Priorities are nice pools and/or springs on site for the member of our family who won't be venturing off to zipline, etc. And also rooms/grounds that are charming, attractive, and not generic hotel looking. (Tabacon, Nayara, Springs are all too expensive.) Would like to be able to get into La Fortuna town for some dinners, by taxi or car. Los Lagos looks like a blast for the kids, even in the rain. Lost Iguana looks charming and more upscale. Which of all these hotels has the nicest on site springs?

Many thanks all!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,878 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Silencio vs Leaves and Lizards vs Lost Iguana

Lost Iguana is great, but far from town. IMO I would still go with Silencio for the hot springs and in this case cheaper taxis.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Silencio vs Leaves and Lizards vs Lost Iguana

Hi we just returned from our trip, we stayed at SIlencio del Campo and would highly recommend it, this small resort has very helpful, friendly staff, the hot springs are very nice. We all splurged with a massage at the end of our very physical activities. Breakfast is included, and the grounds as well as individual cabins are immaculate. As for a stay with young children, there is a smallish pool (always empty because of hot springs), keep in mind that this is the rain forest, during the so called-green season, it rains - ALOT. Basically it rained everyday we were there, some days we did not see the sun at all, and it was actually cooler than we expected. So keep that in mind if you think you will be able to keep young kids entertained all day back at the hotel, while others are touring, I say take them along, they wont mind the rain and will probably like the hikes etc, unless they are very young.

Edited: 08 July 2013, 19:12
Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
559 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Silencio vs Leaves and Lizards vs Lost Iguana

I have stayed at El Silencio and loved it. You will feel completely safe in the property. It's very close to town, about $6-7 each way. You can enjoy your day in the central park with ice cream from POP's. Lots of stores to shop for souvenirs. If feeling lazy to eat out, the food in the restaurant at E Silencio is excellent and at a reasonable price. You can enjoy breakfast while watching the birds eating fruits that the hotel employees hang on the tree for them. The swimming pool is not very big but a decent size. The hot springs are nice too. And don't miss out the spa. Highly recommended.

6. Re: Hotel Silencio vs Leaves and Lizards vs Lost Iguana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 05:16