We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

We will be coming from SJO early afternoon and have 5 nites at Villa Decary in Nuevo Arenal in a casita. Prior to that, We would like to stay the first 2 nights Dec 20th and 21st near the volcano in an area as different from Nuevo Arenal as possible. If the lodging does not have hot springs on site we would like access nearby for a visit to springs to just relax and maybe have dinner. It would be nice to have a restaurant on site or walkable or an easy taxi ride away as we won't have a rental car until we go to Nuevo Arenal. Just a 50 something couple wanting to experience the volcano area. Prefer to stay away from really large and busy resorts....any ideas? Priced under $240 night preferably

Edited: 11 July 2013, 20:54
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

Hotel El Silencio del Campo is regarded as one of the best small lodges in that area, offering both restaurant and hot springs on site. It is not away from large and busy resorts, but according to many very positive reviews has been able to retain a very Tico and Pura Vida way of operating.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

Hotel Los Lagos great optoin for a family!

roadadvsior

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

Thanks for the ideas! I have seen both. I keep coming back to Silencio Del Campo...just looks kind of "flat" .and maybe not the mountainous setting I had hoped for. Husband has never been to CR before. The big Hotel property next door is kind of a turn off but reviews seem to kind of disregard it..... We want to go tubing nearby if possible and enjoy the Springs..We can do waterfalls, horseback riding etc over in Uvita. We will be fishing a day or two in Nuevo Arenal and spending a day on a local finca as well as just kind of getting the feel of the region. I will say that I was suprised by the steep prices. Having been to a few Central Valley areas and the Caribbean side..well La Fortuna lodging is priced kind of like S Florida. Our usual style is a vrbo type place but for just 2 nights I think a hotel is suitable........... I'll take a look at Los Lagos again. I think it had more of a "water park" feel and since we'll be traveling as a couple over the holidays that was kind of a deterrant. Oh we are indeed getting "older' ;-)

Canada
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

Arenal Paraiso is not fanncy but a nice property with fairly basic but very enjoyable hot springs at a reasonable price. Great location with nice views. The restaurant is overpriced but the included breakfast is good and you are close to town where there are many other dining options.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

If you want a mountain experience, go for the Arenal Observatory Lodge and do hot springs somewhere else.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

I would also look at Arenal Oasis. It's a very popular place with a reasonable rate. http://www.arenaloasis.com/

I also like Arenal Observatory Lodge but it's kind of far from La Fortuna. If you don't mind that, it's a great place and you can get a real bargain by staying in La Casona. It's very comfortable, with coffee makers and a large "common room" with a large table. Great views of both the Lake and the volcano.

I agree with Racandee -- just pick the hotel you like and do the hot springs separately.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

We just returned from staying at Los Lagos and can honestly say it does not have the "water park" feel at all. In fact we were really impressed with how beautiful the grounds were. Our stay was on a Sunday - Tuesday, Sunday was busy due to people coming in just for the day to use the pool but after that it was very quiet. If you get a superior room you are further up the hill and away from the pool area. Some people may not like that but we did. We had a rental car so we just used that in the evenings when we went down to the hot springs/pool. I enjoyed having the hot springs on the property, we never spent more than an hour in them and couldn't see spending $50++ to visit other hot springs separately but that's just us. The property has lots of flora and fauna. We saw howler monkeys and many different bird species. I have left a review and pics for Los Lagos if you want to check it out. My only big complaint would be the beds are very hard. Best wishes!

Edited: 12 July 2013, 14:43
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

If you are not wanting a large hotel, than Silencio del Campo is your best bet. When you first get there you notice Royal Corin next door but after that, you can't see it from many areas on the grounds. Many of the other hotels mentioned by others are BIG hotels which means at breakfast you can have as many as 100-300 people there...just something to think about. And Silencio del Campo may look "flat" but across the street is the volcano so your views are great...you're definitely "right there". Their hot springs, by the way, are gorgeous and you're in walking distance to Titoku, Baldi and EcoTermales if you want to try others out. Enjoy!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

Thanks for all the responses! I REALLY do not want to be where 200+ other "Visitors" are. The fact we are going late December will make it crowded I'm sure. We LOVE Villa Hermosa and if we return for more than two nights would hope to stay there! Silencio Del Campo keeps coming back up so it may be the right choice for this visit. We'll have wildlife viewing opportunities on our 6 night Uvita leg so may have to sacrifice that for the Arenal portion. Just want to nail it all down before places fill up for Christmas/New Years! Also any info on Holiday activities in La Fortuna/Nuevo Arenal would be interesting. We had planned on Christmas Eve at the Gingerbread but found out they will be closed ;-( No matter. We'll be happy with what we find even if it's casual food on our patio!

10. Re: Lodging near Volcano rather than lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 06:19