We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal Springs or El Silencio?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal Springs or El Silencio?

My husband and I are traveling to CR the first week of December and spending 2-3 nights in The Fortunate area. I want to stay somewhere with on site hot springs, a good restaurant and comfortable rooms. Both Arenal Springs and El Silencio look great and are in our budget. Any recommendations for which we should choose? We will probably want to go into town a couple times and won't have a rental car, so if that makes a big difference, please advise. Thanks for the help!

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal Springs or El Silencio?

I can only san good thing a about Arenal Springs, having started there twice. Alive never stayed at Silencio. I like Arenal Springs is owned by a hard working Costa Rican Family, and gphave created a nice hotel with ver y comfortable rooms. The restaurant offers very good food. If you don't have a car and decide to stay here, make sure to request a room close to the restaurant if you don't walk to walk much.

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
559 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal Springs or El Silencio?

I have stayed at El Silencio in Oct and loved it. Our room was villa #18, further from the road so it was quiet. The bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. All the villas have the view of the volcano. If the sky is clear you can enjoy a cup of coffee on the porch looking at the volcano. Ground is beautiful and staff is hardworking and very friendly. There is a few hot springs in the property so we took advantage of that and didn't spend more money on other hot springs. The food in the restaurant is good and at reasonable price. If you want to take a cab to town, just ask the front desk to call for you. It's about $6-7 each way. We asked the driver to drop us off at Burger King and then we walked to town so we saved a $1 here and there. :P And please do visit their spa. I had a facial done there and loved it.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal Springs or El Silencio?

The biggest difference between the two hotels you are talking about is size. Arenal Springs can have as many as 300 people eating breakfast at the same time as it's a big property with many, many rooms. It's a beautiful place with swim up bars and good service. El Silencio is quite the opposite in terms of size. There are less than 20 cabinas (I believe) so it's a very cozy atmosphere so just with that information it should help you decide what experience you're looking for. Enjoy!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,878 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arenal Springs or El Silencio?

Agree with Villa Hermosa, tough to compare the 2 but she summed it up well. IMO I like Silencio, I dig the more rustic feel of the place, never feels crowded.

5. Re: Arenal Springs or El Silencio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:17