We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to see on route from SJ to La Fortuna?

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Topic
Things to see on route from SJ to La Fortuna?

Hi,

My husband, 7 and 9 year old children, parents and myself plan to drive from SJ to La Fortuna. We plan to take the San Ramon route and will leave our San Jose area hotel by mid-morning. We would like to make the most of our drive by taking in some of the beautiful surroundings. I understand that Lands in Love is a nice midpoint. Would that be a good area to stop off and enjoy the scenery/maybe have lunch? Do they have trails we could explore? We were wondering what people's thoughts were on this? Are there other things along the way that might be recommended instead for a couple hours stop over? Maybe coffee or chocolate plantations, etc? My husband and I were in CR a couple yrs ago, and already did Paos, so wanted to see something new. My parents and kids have never experienced another country/culture, so we are looking forward to sharing how amazing CR is with them! Thank you for any advice.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to see on route from SJ to La Fortuna?

Espiritu Sanctu coffee plantation is on the way, Zoo Ave is a little out of the way but a good stop with the kids. Lands in Love has trails and a zip line and a good vegetarian restaurant. Another neat place is Finca Luna Nueva - they have working farm and trail hiking.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,415 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to see on route from SJ to La Fortuna?

The ride is nice...a lot to see...Los Angeles cloud forest...San Luis Cloud Forest...San Lorenzo Cloud Forest a lot of great views...do not give to much food to the kids...great road to get car sick...I drive families like you there almost daily...and my recommendation...somenthing light to eat and a big meal once around La Fortua,,,some people ask ed many times if the reason is maybe because I do not want to stop and wait for people...no the reason...mostly kids get terrible sick...of course is my humble opinion!

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to see on route from SJ to La Fortuna?

I love going through Zarcero and stopping to take a break, see the church, square and the beautifully shaped trees & bushes (animals, arches (Arcos), etc. Also there are lots of little stores there if you want to grab a snack & drink. :-) Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to see on route from SJ to La Fortuna?

Thanks for the suggestions! The coffee plantation looks great. I'm trying to determine whether it would be a bit dull for the kids, but it seems a break out of the car walking around in beautiful scenery would be enjoyable for all. The guides sound good, too. Our daughter tends to get carsick, so the advice to not eat much until we get to La Fortuna is appreciated (we will bring kids Dramamine). We have quite a bit of rainforest hiking planned once we get to La Fortuna area, so might end up skipping Lands in Love, now that we will hold off eating lunch en route. BTW, Finca Luna looks like a great place to stay; the website looked very nice! We are already booked at Las Lomas del Volcan, and think it will be their cabinitas will be a good hotel for our extended family. Villa Hermosa, we might take a break at Zarcero on our way back to San Jose! Thanks again!

5. Re: Things to see on route from SJ to La Fortuna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...