We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volcano hikes

victoria
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
volcano hikes

Are there any hikes around the volcano?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,396 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: volcano hikes

You can hike in the Arenal volcano National Park. Some trails will lead you over to the old lava flow. Volcano is quite big, and there are many other trails around its base, so your answer is a bit vague.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: volcano hikes

arenal.net/arenal_volcano_national_park.htm

http://www.arenal.net/tour/cerro-chato-hike/

Can you actually hike up the volcano? No. Because of the active nature of the volcano, there is a "safety zone." As Xelas wrote, you can take trails that go over the old lava flow.

Dartford
Level Contributor
64 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: volcano hikes

We would like to do do the hike to the volcano, but am unsure if it is suitable with a 4 year old. Any advice? Are there areas to swim on the way? We would do it without a guide.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,396 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: volcano hikes

Personally, I would not let my kid swimming in any river in Costa Rica. The ones I have seen, or been inside, are all quite fast flowing, and possibility of heavy rainfall somewhere upstream (which you cannot even know about) can rise the level fast and dramatically.

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: volcano hikes

There is a great place near the volcano to swim with your family, where a hot, thermal stream merges with a cooler one. About 25 m down from the Tabanuco Hot Springs entrance (not their hotel) is a bridge. You can park on the side of the road, climb down the embankment, and enjoy. I think it's called El Chorin. Every time I've been I've seen small children. You'll be able to easily see where the water is faster and where calmer. People often move the rocks to create little pools.

Also, I really like Arenal 1968 (I can't remember the name exactly, something 1968) which is right next door to the park, for hiking with kids. There are a few well marked trails, one is flatter, as well as a pavilion perfect for sitting and having a snack break. It is steep up the trail that gets you as close to the volcano; it isn't very long thought, maybe 10 minutes up.

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: volcano hikes

There is a great place near the volcano to swim with your family, where a hot, thermal stream merges with a cooler one. About 25 m down from the Tabanuco Hot Springs entrance (not their hotel) is a bridge. You can park on the side of the road, climb down the embankment, and enjoy. I think it's called El Chorin. Every time I've been I've seen small children. You'll be able to easily see where the water is faster and where calmer. People often move the rocks to create little pools. I've been in October and February, and both times it was divine!

With that said, don't discount Xelas' warning about how rapidly rivers can rise here. As pointed out it may be raining upstream and you will have no warning.

Also, I really like Arenal 1968 (I can't remember the name exactly, something 1968) which is right next door to the park, for hiking with kids. There are a few well marked trails, one is flatter, as well as a pavilion perfect for sitting and having a snack break. It is steep up the trail that gets you as close to the volcano; it isn't very long thought, maybe 10 minutes up.

Dartford
Level Contributor
64 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: volcano hikes

Thanks everything

8. Re: volcano hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 14:35
Fairfield...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: volcano hikes

Definitely go on the 1968 trail. The view is absolutely amazing, and you get to walk through where the lava once went through so there's a bunch of lava rocks. I think it is a must do hike to do in Costa Rica.

10. Re: volcano hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 15:35
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...