We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this car rental idea make sense?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
168 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Does this car rental idea make sense?

We fly in to SJO late and stay at a nearby hotel. The next morning we pick up a rental car and drive to the La Fortuna area where we will be staying four days. After those four days we drop off the rental car and use private transfers for the remainder of our trip (to Monteverde & Manuel Antonio).

My thinking is that it would be nice to have our own vehicle during our time in the Arenal area, but not as necessary in the others.

Does it make sense to do it this way? And if so, which rental car companies will allow you to pick up in Aljuela and drop off in La Fortuna?

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this car rental idea make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. There are plenty of taxi's around. Adobe will allow you to rent in one area and drop in another, and I'm sure there are others, you will just have to pay an additional drop fee.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,801 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this car rental idea make sense?

However, having a car at least in Monteverde is very useful. And the drive up and down the mountain is so scenic! S I would use the car all the way till Manuel Antonio.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this car rental idea make sense?

YEP that makes a lot of sense...ALAMO is a great option...and between Arenal and Monteverde JEEP BOAT JEEP...try to deal direct with some of the local options...avoid big we sites...they buy cheap and sell expensive that is anywhere in Costa Rica where big guys buy really cheap and sale really expensive...avoid them!

roadadvisor

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
168 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this car rental idea make sense?

roadadvisor,

for local options are you referring to rental cars or the jeep-boat-jeep transfer? I am looking at Desaflo for the jeep-boat-jeep transfer and possibly Adobe for the rental car. Anyway, I think both of those are local - is that correct? Are there others I should consider?

xeles,

I will consider the idea of keeping the car until Manuel Antonio. Do some of the rental places allow car drop off in MA?

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this car rental idea make sense?

You will get charged a fee to drop off in Manuel Antonio but as Xelas says if you are going to rent a car, then that would be the place to leave it and not in Arenal. Go with Roadadvisor's advice to rent from small local firms which seem to give a better price and service than the big names which are usually franchises and a poor imitation of the same company elsewhere in the world.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this car rental idea make sense?

ck prices for your 4x4 at Vamos. They have fantastic Customer Service and accept Costaricadiscountcard.com for a 20% discount (card price $20). They also will allow you to drop off with a fee. Not sure I wouldn't keep the car the whole time. Manuel Antonio can be busy (many days the park is full once the # of allowed visitors are in). I would want the vehicle to explore parks and beaches down South less than an hour away. You also might want to explore having the rental delivered to your hotel in Alajuela to avoid the hassle of the car rental office. When it is delivered there is about 5 minutes of paperwork, nice! Vamos also will include an ice chest and cell phone in the rental. You can add a GPS for about $10 a day if you want. Happy Travels!

7. Re: Does this car rental idea make sense?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 06:17